Please sign in to post.

Car Rentals in Dublin

We will be renting a car for two weeks in Ireland this summer and with the prices don't want to spend any more than we have to. We will be arriving and leaving from the Dublin airport and spending the first 3 nights in Dublin. Obviously, we don't want a car in Dublin but where should we arrange to pick up a car when we are ready to travel? The airport?
When we return, we will be staying at the Premier Inn near the airport so can drop off the car the night before and take a cab to the airport the next morning.
Does this make sense?
We are also thinking of using Europcar. For one reason, apparently they will let us use our credit card insurance with no added fees.
Has anyone had experience with them or have other recommendations?
Thanks,
Bob

Posted by
4434 posts

I had a great experience with Europcar. We picked up from the airport, as we were a bit concerned about the driving on the other side thing--it was fine! You could see where their other pickup locations are and if they are convenient, but if you'll have to take a taxi or travel to get to them anyway, might as well just use the airport. They have a north and south location, if that makes a difference. The city location looks to be close to a main road, but if you have no experience, the roads around the airport are more conducive to getting used to the driving.
It was so quick to get in and out of the city, we just stayed our last night in Dublin.

Posted by
2267 posts

It's shouldn't be hard to look online for pick-up and drop-off locations, and get quotes for picking up and dropping off in different places. I hate navigating unknown cities, but just escaping from Dublin isn't bad at all if you pick up closer to the center.

I always look at autoeurope for pricing. They're a third-party reseller, but with a solid reputation, and prices with coverage can be really competitive.

Don't forget to specify an automatic transmission if needed. (I find shifting with my left had to be the easiest part of "wrong side" driving.)

Double-check your credit card covers there. Some limit coverage in right-hand drive countries.

Posted by
2267 posts

Also— Strongly advise you to book the smallest suitable car. And push back on an 'upgrade' at pickup if the car is a lot bigger.

The only thing narrower than a European parking space is a two-way, 50mph Irish road!

Posted by
162 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. After my original post here, I checked on rental prices. Unfortunately, my wife needs an automatic and the cheapest we could find for 14 days was $4800!!! I knew that gas prices would be through the roof but didn't expect this for car rentals. I'll start shopping around but any suggestions?

Posted by
4434 posts

Where have you checked? Many recommend AutoEurope. Also, mull if you have any discounts like USAA for example.
Also, share your itinerary--you will certainly want a car at some point, but it may be possible to cobble together something where you don't have it for the two full weeks.
Butting in, sorry, since I don't drive myself (for everyone's safety), my husband drives. The driving in Ireland was really easy (very little traffic, etc.)--could you do all the driving if you can drive a manual? It will likely save you a bunch.

Posted by
6572 posts

Rental car prices since Covid have been higher than before and the closer it gets to trip time, the more outrageous they become. Being summer when demand is higher as well as needing an automatic doesn’t help either. Unfortunately, your options are limited, use public transportation or pay the price. We try to rent vehicles 6 months in advance. I know that the car I reserved for Spain a few months ago would be 3 times as much now.

I went to the Avis site and selected a 2-week period in July, and a compact automatic was $2,400. An economy automatic was $2054. I’m not sure when your trip is, but these prices are better than the one you were quoted. CDW Insurance would be extra.

Posted by
1377 posts

I went to Conn's Ireland, a Hertz franchise form whom I have rented multiple times, plugged in random July dates for a 2 week period and came up with €1825.70 for a VW Polo with manual transmission and €2903.68 for a Kia Picanto with automatic transmission. Conn's has offices on Dublin's South Circular Road (easy access to the south and west of the country) and at the airport. No additional fee to rent from the Dublin office and return to the airport. All insurance included in the quote - including super-cover.

Posted by
569 posts

Looking at https://www.autoeurope.ie/
I found a two week rental in July, automatic transmission for €1512. This includes CDW with a deductible. 4-door Ford Fiesta or similar. Think you can do better than the $4800 quote.

Posted by
610 posts

Wow! Prices have exploded. In 2019, we paid $179 for a two week trip. A quick look on Orbitz shows $1300 for the smallest car. The automatic will cost you, as will not using your credit card coverage. I always opt for stick shift and my credit card's insurance, which I found through experience, works just fine, if a little delayed. ALL the rental companies will argue over the CDW coverage, so make sure you have a copy of your travel benefits coverage in hand to make your case. Last trip, I actually had to walk out, and the agent caught up with me in the parking lot saying his manager took my side.

We're paying $600 for 2 weeks in Scotland this June, but I made the reservations last September. With prices like the above, it's almost worth buying a used car and reselling it (or abandoning it!). I'm doing the planning for a three week Ireland trip next year, and I hadn't looked at car rental yet.