Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Suggestions

Our plan is: fly into Dublin and spend 5-6 days at the Shelbourne in St. Stephen's Square. Then pick up a rental car and spend 2 weeks each in the following areas:
*Thurles, Tipperary
*Swinford, Mayo
*County Tyrone

Most user friendly car rental company for a 6-week jaunt? We'd like to pick a car up on the south side of Dublin. Would like to have GPS come with it, and maybe a WiFi hotspot, if they offer it. Prefer comfort and reliability over cost.

Tried the Hertz site, as my DH deals with them usually; site wasn't cooperative for Ireland. Enterprise has a location on the south side, but couldn't see that they offered GPS.
The next site was called Ireland Car Rentals, I think, and I could see where I could get GPS with them.

Any other companies that you have had specific experience with?

Also, we would be returning the car to the same location.

Thanks.
Nancy

Posted by
36 posts

I have just booked with Easy Tour Ireland. They are a franchise of Hertz, of which only Ireland and Greece are allowed franchises. Their listed price includes tax, unlimited mileage, CDW, and Super CDW, etc and you pay when you return the car. If you book by tomorrow, March 18, you receive GPS free. They were competitive with Dan Dooley of Ireland, but better coverage as the Super CDW is included, which means if you are in an accident you have no liability. There is a US number on their website that you can call for questions, which was very helpful. After calling Hertz Corporate in OKC to confirm there was a relationship with Easy Tour Ireland and talking with Easy Tour Ireland I have booked with them and feel comfortable with my decision. I have read several reviews on Tripadvisor and they were favorable. I have done lots of reading of posts etc on car rental in Ireland and this is the best I have come up with. Hope this helps.

Posted by
552 posts

As far as shopping prices, I've always used AutoEurope as a basis of comparison.

As for comfort and reliability, all the cars from reputable companies will be just about brand new. The turnover rate is likely quite high as dings are common on the narrow and curvy roads, but I never see anything but the pristine cars in the lots. Expect to have a trusty car with less than 20,000 Km on it.

But because the roads are so narrow, and parking is always 'snug', I would seriously consider that the smallest car you can conceive yourself being seen in will be the most comfortable to maneuver. (I always get the smallest four-door though, as the ease of loading the back seat with provisions is important to me.)

Posted by
2261 posts

Nancy, we had a good experience with Budget, using the Dublin city office on Drumcondra Road, there's a public bus from down town to take you the km or two. I do think that most people who have disputes with car rental companies are those who have not taken the time to understand the process and how it works, much less look at what they are signing.

Due diligence is the key to a good car rental, good luck.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

One more question...has anyone ever rented a car in Ireland, or elsewhere in Europe, for more than 28/30 days? When I was working through the various websites, trying to get estimates, most would not allow me to do it for longer than 28 or 30 days. I was to call the office instead.

Do rental rules change if you go over 28/30 days ?

Thanks.
Nancy

Posted by
8889 posts

The reason they put the time limit on is so the car does not go over its service interval, which with heavily used rental cars is a risk. You would need to check with the hire company.