Please sign in to post.

Car rental question.

I would like to purchase the most insurance possible when we rent a car so I have peace of mind. My question is- do I need to purchase both CDW and Super CDW or if i purchase superCDW does that cover it? I am confused.
thank you in advance for any advice!

Posted by
8145 posts

I recently read my home insurance policy terms and the terms of the credit card I charge car rentals on.
My home insurance pays for accidents or thefts in the U.S. so CDW coverage is not required.
My credit card pays for accidents and thefts outside the U.S. except in a few countries like Ireland and Italy where government regulations require all renters purchase CDW coverage from the rental company. I have only rented cars in Italy and found their mandated CDW to be relatively inexpensive.
We are going to Ireland in a few weeks and are going to purchase the basic CDW.

Posted by
56 posts

I'm following this forum post as well! I am planning on taking out CDW, but I have heard that so many companies place a hold on the credit card for anywhere from $500 to $3,000. sakell76 are you planning on taking out the tire and windshield insurance too?

Posted by
7 posts

Darlinda- i think we will do the tire coverage but not the windshield, I never thought renting a car could be so complicated.

Posted by
195 posts

We always rent through Auto Europe and take out the full coverage...no deductible...insurance. That covers everything with no worries. It may be more expensive, but is far less expensive than if the car had ANY kind of damage!!! Easy to investigate online, but do book over the phone. Many times there are rates only available on the phone. This has been the case in Ireland, Italy, Greece, England, France.

Posted by
509 posts

We recently booked with Hertz through AutoEurope. Website didn't appear to offer automatic transmission in the size we wanted. Phoned and spoke with helpful human. Got the automatic. Tire/windshield coverage wasn't available at booking, but I was assured we could add it "at the counter" when we pick up the car. Apparently it's only available "locally", Dublin airport in our case. This will be our 3d or 4th rental with AutoEurope; it's always been easy and efficient.

Posted by
359 posts

Get Super CDW AND tire and windshield. No question. It is expensive but totally worth it. Unless you only drive on the M roads (not possible) you will drive on roads that at times are insanely narrow with stone walls, thick hedges or rock face literally inches from your car. That and often the curbs for a reason I cannot fathom are often quite squared off and sharp. Look at Irish cars while there and you will see rips, chunks gone and scrapes on tires and wheel rims. On one of our trips my wife parked in Ennis and barely nudged a curb and it took a small slice out of the tire and scraped the rim. That would have been a €800-1000 Euro repair ! Thankfully not a penny thanks to our coverage. Fender benders are very easy to come by as well. Spare yourself the worry......yes it's a major pain but suoer cdw and tire/windshield is totally worth it

One of our best friends on a trip to Ireland managed to brush up against a hedge at about 35 kph and scraped the side (something VERY easy to do) and was hit with a €2500+ bill. Coverage is a major expense but so worth it.