Please sign in to post.

Car rental insurance

Hey all-
I've looked back at quite a few threads, and don't see an answer to my specific question. Going to be renting a car for my trip next month, planning on getting the CDW insurance. What I can't seem to figure is if I get the "super CDW," do I still need to get the CDW? Is it a 'both/and' or a 'either/or'? Thanks all!

Posted by
11177 posts

Typically the CDW will have a deductible feature where if there is damage to the rental car you will be responsible for some amount ( often $500-to as much as $3000) before the coverage kicks in. In most cases the SuperCDW reduces your responsibility to $0.

You do not buy both.

Read the agency's fine print as it can vary from one rental co. to another as to what is/isn't covered

Posted by
23267 posts

Joe is correct. Super CDW is an expanded CDW policy covering more items.

Posted by
3 posts

Last month's experience, I was able to provide a letter from my Visa credit card acknowledging that they would cover the CDW and was able to rent without buying the insurance. There was a small glitch as the renter was concerned that the letter did not mention the amount of coverage but that was resolved by calling Credit card support line who confirmed the full value of the car ( a Volvo s90) would be covered.

Posted by
9 posts

Hey all, thanks for the replies. I DO plan on getting the super cdw (the extra money seems to be worth it). I guess it's just confusing because from what I am seeing, the charges don't make sense. Most of what I'm seeing shows (for example) $130 for the cdw, and then $115 for the super cdw. I would think the super would be more if that's all I am buying. Which is why I'm wondering if I have to add both on in order to get the super.

I've been comparing different rental sites, and this seems to be mostly what I am seeing if both are offered. I've been reading as much fine print as I can! Haha. I guess I'll find out when I get there!