Please sign in to post.

car rental in Ireland

We are spending a couple of days in Dublin before heading over to the Atlantic coast for several days. I am trying to figure out where I should rent a car. I had thought about taking a train to Limerick or to Cork then driving between the Ring of Kerry, Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher. Is this too much to cover in 5 days? What would be the best way to combine trains with car rental in order to save the most time on travel? Which city to rent a car? Thanks for any input!!

Posted by
2829 posts

If your intention is to concentrate your available time around Kerry and Dingle (always a good idea) then it would be easier to just pick up the car in Dublin and drive there directly rather than adding an unnecessary train journey to Limerick or Cork. Plus, if you so choose you could break up the drive with stops at Glendalough or Cashel along the way.
I don't recall that there's any cost savings for renting the vehicle outside of Dublin.
If you do elect to start your onward journey from Dublin I'd suggest renting from an airport location or another pick-up point on the outskirts of the city just to avoid having to drive within the city center. Driving in the Irish countryside is an altogether pleasant experience. Driving in the city is not, especially if you're still trying to negotiate the learning curve for driving on the left.
Good Luck.

Posted by
8682 posts

Some clarity please. Are you flying in to and out of Dublin? If yes, then rent the car at the airport. No need for it in Dublin but after spending your days in Dublin take a bus to the airport, get the rental and off you go.

Posted by
8 posts

It sounds like the best thing to do would be to rent the car at the airport after our 2 days in Dublin. Is it too much to try and cover the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle and the ring of Kerry in 5 days?? Thanks so much for the responses.

Posted by
2829 posts

" Is it too much to try and cover the Cliffs of Moher, Dingle and the ring of Kerry in 5 days?? "
Not at all. It's about 3.5 hours from Dublin to Doolin - a pretty little village near the Cliffs and a good stopping point for your first night.
A couple of nights each in or near Dingle and Killarney would be easily manageable and would still allow for a leisurely drive back to Dublin for your flight out.
Your area of interest is pretty compact, so even with the relatively slow going on some of the narrow Irish roads you'll have plenty of time to relax and enjoy the area.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you so much for the input! Of course we would love to have the time to travel many other parts of Ireland. I guess we will just have to return for another vacation!