Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Ireland

I’m renting with Alamo at Dublin airport and purchased collision insurance and a protection plus plan, but is there still another insurance which will be pushed on me at time of rental? The cost seemed rather reasonable.

Posted by
609 posts

Without knowing what the Protection Plus is, they usually push add-ons like window and tire protection, which are not in the base insurance. Of course they will try to push a GPS and a larger car upgrade, often claiming they're out of the class you reserved - just say no thank you and you'll get it for the quoted rate. Collision insurance only seems reasonable because the daily base rate has tripled since Covid. And there will be a one time "recovery fee" if you are headed to Northern Ireland (probably only L30).

Posted by
6 posts

I strongly suggest the optional Super Damage Waiver (CDW Excess) insurance.

In 2019, I drove two weeks across all Northern Ireland and Ireland, east-west-north and south. During the trip, I had 2 unfortunate accidents causing damage to the front fender (tire blow out) and then more extensive damage to the rear bumper when I backed into a stone wall at Jameson Distillery. And, in driving the tight 2 lane (more like 1 1/2 lane) roads in the country you will no doubt experience some pretty heavy paint scratches from the vegetation along the road when you have to pull aside to let another car pass. Anyway, when I turned the car rental back in at Dublin Airport, the Hertz guy went around with his clipboard noting all the above, then asked me if I had the CDW Excess. When I said I did, he said I was "good to go", and didn't pay a penny more. I went from thinking I would have to buy a car to immense relief.

Posted by
15 posts

I’m also trying to rent a car and to understand all the associated terms.
It’s been recommended that I rent an automatic (which isn’t even an option online sometimes), and to buy the full monty insurance so that I can walk away if anything happens.
Is this ins called the ‘excess waiver’? Is this term different for every co., ie protection plan plus, or super damage waiver/CDW Excess in the case of Hertz?
I have not been able to nail down this cost yet on any consolidator or rental site. Does everyone just buy when they pick up the car? Seems like there’s no choice by that time, or maybe they all charge much the same?
Is Auto Europe fine, or is it best and same price to go directly through the car company?
And then there’s theft….do I add that on for another ~€10?
I really have been trying to do my homework- I would appreciate any help very much!

Posted by
2827 posts

We rely on AutoEurope for our own car rentals in Ireland, after I just got tired of trying to figure out the insurance coverage options that are typically buried within the fine print of individual company websites. AutoEurope presents the various options clearly so you know exactly what you're getting and how much it is going to cost.
My suggestion is to opt for the "no deductible" rate just for the peace of mind involved. Might add that getting an automatic has never been an issue for us at Dublin airport but you do have pay attention when finalizing the booking to ensure that's what you're getting since the default setting will be for a manual shifter.
Finally, the only upsell pressure you may encounter will be for a separate tire/windshield damage package that some here like to get but which we've never seen the need for. If you don't want it just decline at the desk.

Posted by
90 posts

Have at look at Conn's Ireland Rental; they go through Hertz and are pretty straightforward.

Posted by
8 posts

If driving anywhere outside of the main cities, and especially on rural roads, I highly recommend getting the higher insurance tier (Super CDW or CDW Excess, or similarly names) as it is very decent odds it will save you a load of hassle. Plus, some credit cards will actually help cover the cost of the extra insurance as a perk, so look into that possibility! If not, still advise getting it.

When i was prepping ahead of a trip back in 2019, first time going, i kept seeing you had about a 50/50 shot of losing a side mirror on rural roads. While i thought it was exaggerated, I still got the higher insurance, and even though i ended up not needing it, there was enough close calls that it was super worth it. Plenty of narrow roads, with stone walls on one side and a bank of trees on the other, with smaller branches brushing the car at some points. Came to a few sudden dead ends that required backing up for over a mile. Had a couple of close shaves with semi trucks and other cars zipping around bends at high speeds. Was fun, but definitely stressful! Any small error and I definitely would have lost a mirror. So ya, I'd recommend grabbing it personally if going outside the cities.