Please sign in to post.

Car rental

We are flying into Dublin, spending one night there, then onto Belfast where we will be staying for 2nights. From there we will be spending the remainder of our time driving along the coast to Portrush, Derry, Donegal, Westport, Galway area and returning to Dublin for our flight home. My question is regarding car rental. We are not sure if we should A) rent the car the morning we arrive and park it in Dublin overnight (we are staying in temple bar, but I’m considering a different section of Dublin) so I’m not sure where I would park it. B) take the bus back to the airport the following morning, renting the car and then heading to Belfast ( staying at the Flint, again not sure about parking) or C) take the train to Belfast from Dublin, and then take it back to Dublin after 2 days to rent the car. Or D) if it is a possibility to rent the car in Belfast and return it in Dublin? Or maybe another option would be to rent it in Belfast and return it to Belfast and take the train back to Dublin at the end of our trip. Also is the airport the only place to rent a car? Its probably the most convenient however. And help, ideas or suggestions will be appreciated! Thank you!

Posted by
2824 posts

Per my comments on your other thread: I wouldn't recommend driving a car anywhere in central Dublin. Better to pick it up at the airport on your way north out of town. Besides, the airport car rental providers have a larger selection of vehicles to choose from, with greater likelihood that you'll be able to book an automatic ... which you'll really want to have if this is your first foray driving on the left.
Renting in Belfast and returning to Dublin (or anywhere in the Republic) will trigger the one-way international drop charge, which may or may not be a deal breaker for you if the comfort and convenience outweigh the fee. Best to comparison shop among the various companies, nail down what the various fees are (including insurance) and decide what's best for you. Who knows, the cost savings involved in taking the train to Belfast and thus not having to rent the vehicle for the days when you don't really need it anyway might make renting in Belfast a cost-effective alternative for you.

Posted by
238 posts

I agree with Robert that going back to the airport is much preferable to taking the car into the city. I speak from experience--we chose to rent our car in downtown Dublin. We picked it up the evening before we were to drive to Belfast and planned to park it overnight at our B&B so as to get an early start the next day. The fairly short drive from the car rental place to the B&B was harrowing! We managed to severely damage the passenger side mirror (be sure to get the extra insurance coverage!) in the process. To begin your driving experience in the city is a terrible idea if you've never driven on the left before, even if you are an otherwise excellent driver. You'll get the hang of it just fine, but starting in Dublin is not the way to ease into it!!

Posted by
186 posts

We rented our car locally in Dublin after staying there a few nights a couple years ago. The rates are better in town than at the airport. The Enterprise branch in town was great and we were on our way for our road trip around the country in no time. If I recall, the rate to drive the car into Northern Ireland was a nominal charge, but do comparison shop for the best deal.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you all for your input! We decided to just head back to the airport the next day and rent the car from there and return there since we have a morning flight on our departure day. Thank you!

Posted by
71 posts

I just returned from a trip to Northern Ireland and Ireland. It was extremely expensive to rent a car and cross the border from Ireland into Northern Ireland. So we used public transportation in Northern Ireland (Giants Causeway, Rope Bridge, Bushmills Distillery and Dunluce Castle). There is a train to Derry (1 hour). I would recommend using public transportation is Northern Ireland, and renting your car in the Republic of Ireland. We rented our car at the Dublin Airport, which avoided driving in Dublin. The motorway is right next to the airport.

Posted by
12172 posts

I'm not sure I would go to an airport to rent a car but I agree with the idea of renting the car on your way to Belfast. Cars in cities are an expensive inconvenience so I typically wait until I need one to get it, rent leaving a city and return as I arrive in a city.