Please sign in to post.

Car rental??

Hello,
The more I read about renting a car in Ireland the more confused I get. I've read the comments on this forum, and it seems as if everyone has had either great or horrible experiences with many of the same companies. When I rented in France, it didn't seem this difficult.

So here's the particulars; renting a mid-size automatic R/T Shannon for one week.
My credit card company will cover the cost of replacing the car whether stolen or totaled (CDW). It does not cover personal liability, passengers or other cars involved in an accident.

So am I covered for this Super CDW that I've been reading about? We're also taking travel insurance from home which covers hospitalization. Do the rental companies have just liability insurance?
Besides shopping around for a fair rate, it's also important that the company is reputable in case of a problem. I think it's best to go with a company that has a location in the U.S. I tried calling Dan Dooley's 800 phone number, but it has been disconnected. Which company do you advise?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to clear this up for me,
Anne

Posted by
1914 posts

I can't answer your questions, but I would just add that you might want to double check to see for SURE if your credit card will cover the cost of replacing the car etc while in IRELAND. We always use our American Express card for car rental. In fact, we have the card for only that purpose because the rental car coverage is so good. But, they do not cover Ireland at all. We are going to Ireland in 2019 and I have rented a car. We plan to upgrade to full coverage ( collision damage plan), which I never do, but did in England and will on this trip, too. I understand that the chances of scrapes etc is higher due to narrow roads. We did a few scrapes on our car in England so we were glad we paid extra! Just piece of mind.

Posted by
8660 posts

I used Hertz on my last NI and Eire trip. No problems.

Rented in Belfast, drove to and stayed in Dingle. Mid size automatic. Could have used a smaller vehicle especially on the Sally Gap.

Many Roads are narrow, with unforgiving stone walls, bushes, etc. I find these days with internet access and google satellite street view that I can plot a route and visually examine it the night before I drive it.

I also advise that you take before and after images of the vehicle with your phone’s camera. Helpful if there’s a claim.

Anyway, get as much insurance as you can, to ease any worries. For me worth every penny to know I’m
covered for liability, damage, CDW, the works.

Lastly, slow down and enjoy the scenery. It’s Ireland and it’s beautiful.

Simply keep an eye for sheep, cows, dog walkers, hikers, and lories.

Posted by
65 posts

I have rented a car several times in Ireland as my company has a plant there. It is the only country that we are REQUIRED by our company to take the insurance. All of my personal ccs won’t cover Ireland either. That being said, I have never had any issues other than any flat tire.

When we rented last summer with a credit card that did have the "extra" insurance that is required we still got full coverage and paid for a second driver to make sure that we were 100% covered. Peace of mind when on vacation is not worth saving a few dollars. We are returning again this summer. The only thing we are doing differently is renting a smaller car. We rented thru Dan Dooley - Enterprise now owns Dan Dooley. If you do decide to just use your credit card insurance be sure you have the documentation with you that verifies you are covered.

Posted by
222 posts

We rented a jetta through Hertz at the Dublin Airport. After driving in Greece for 14 days not sure how to compare! All was well, took the insurance an all was well.