Please sign in to post.

Car rental??

Hi,
My friend and I will (hopefully) be visiting Ireland in June 2022 for a few days. Can anyone recommend a good car rental company?
Thanks!!
Katsinca

Posted by
569 posts

Many of us use the broker Auto Europe to find the best deal on cars overseas. We rented with Enterprise and had a great experience. Some things to filter for: transmission (automatic or manual), unlimited mileage, cost of extra driver, cost if any to go into Northern Ireland.

Posted by
2828 posts

Can you quantify what you mean by " a few days"?
If you're going to be there less than a week then renting a car may not be the best option, especially if you plan to base yourselves in the larger cities (Dublin, Galway, Belfast,etc.) which are easily reached by public transportation and from which you can avail yourselves of relatively cheap day trips to do a little exploring.
If your heart is set on renting then do as Katheryne suggests and go with AutoEurope at Dublin airport - it's what we do on our own trips and it usually winds up being Hertz. They offer competitive pricing and a clear explanation of what your insurance options are as well.

Posted by
6522 posts

If you're coming from North America, I suggest you try Auto Europe, a US-based broker that works with various Europe-based rental companies, giving you a lot of choices in one place. They e-mail you a voucher which you present at the airport or wherever you're getting the car. I've used them several times with no problems, and others on this forum have also recommended them.

Posted by
6565 posts

On our trip there, we rented from Avis. We’ve always had a good experience with it.

Posted by
1376 posts

Have rented twice from Conn’s Ireland. Hertz franchise. Locations at Dublin and Shannon airports and on the south circular road in Dublin, from which you can easily access points south and southwest. Clear pricing on CDW and excess CDW.

Posted by
231 posts

Hi all,
Thank you all for the suggestions. We will be in Ireland for 4 days I believe. Flight changes keep reducing our time. We will travel from Dublin to Waterford, seeing sites in between. Still deciding which airport to fly out of to get to Edinburgh for rest of our trip. I will check out the suggestions given. Thanks again!!!!
Katsinca

Posted by
2828 posts

If Waterford is your focus then you really only have a couple of options: backtrack to Dublin or continue on to Cork - there are direct flights from either airport to Edinburgh.
The one-way drop charge for a rental typically isn't too costly, so proceeding on to Cork might give you a chance to see a little more of the southern coast before heading on to Scotland.

Posted by
231 posts

Thanks!! I'll check out continuing on to Cork. Appreciate the suggestion.
Katsinca