Please sign in to post.

Car Rental

Will be renting a car for my trip in September. I'm stressed enough about driving, but I think I'll be happier as opposed to not.
I don't really know where to begin tho searching for car rentals or any deals for any. I'm planning on picking the car up in Dublin at the airport. Anyone have any suggestions? Feeling very stressed!!

Posted by
60 posts

Thanks for your honesty. My husband is asking me why I just wouldn't use public transportation to get around. From what I've read your limited in what you can do and see. Also, he suggested checking pricing out for a driver?

Posted by
6607 posts

I always rent through Avis. You don't need a car in Dublin since everything is fairly walkable and there's a bus from the airport to the center city. Driving on the other side of the road isn't a problem, but initially, the driver needs to concentrate and focus to ensure you stay on the proper side of the road. You'll be surprised how little time it takes to adjust. Smaller roads in Ireland were not as well marked as in other parts of Europe so it helps to know some of the towns you'll be driving through. Traffic circles aren't too bad but can take some getting used to. When renting a car, ensure you specify an automatic; otherwise you'll get a standard. We always drive overseas since driving affords you the opportunity to stop when and where you want, and for as long as you want. If you see something interesting you hadn't planned on, you can stop. You can't do that by taking a bus or train.

Posted by
1172 posts

We rented through Sixt. We picked up and dropped off at the airport and had a great experience. I booked through expedia as that was the best deal I could find.