Please sign in to post.

car rental

I was told that people over 65 are no longer able to rent cars in Europe. Is this true? How easy is it to rent an automatic car and if you pick up a car in one place do you have the ability to return it to another place or is there a steep fine for doing this? I was thinking that if we can rent a car a decide to do so would we be able to pick up in Dublin and return in Belfast? Also does anyone know what is the best way to get from Belfast to Glasgow?

Posted by
2 posts

I have rented cars in Ireland several times. Word to the wise, be careful driving on the other side of the road, it's quite an adjustment. I have the dinged up hubcaps to prove it. We were there about three months ago and this time I got the total insurance package. I ended up getting too close to a wall and was glad that I did. 😉
In any event, I've never seen any sort of age restriction, I'm over 65 and they don't bother me. I think auto trans cars are going to cost more. I've just rented stick shifts and had no problem with that once I got used to it again. As far as dropping off in a different city, I've never done that, I don't know. My guess is it would be more money but all you can do is ask. Shop around, We rented from Dooley a couple of times and it was good.

Posted by
6547 posts

Cautionary note: picking up in Dublin (Republic of Ireland) and dropping off in Belfast (Northern Ireland) would incur a hefty charge since you’d be dropping it off in another country. Check with the rental agency. I reserve an automatic when renting in the UK and rent from Avis. An automatic costs a little more, but not much, and if you don’t stipulate an automatic when making the reservation, you’ll get a standard.

Posted by
8383 posts

FYI Dooley is owned by Enterprise now. You can request an automatic.

Dublin and Belfast are only a few hours apart. I don't think it would be that difficult to return your car to the original place of rental.

Posted by
409 posts

So,

Last week I asked the guys at Europcar how much it would cost to rent in Dublin and return in Belfast. HERE IS THE SCOOP: They charge 50 euros, but it could be more during August and peak times. The REASON it's more is that they can't rent out a car in Belfast with Republic of Ireland plates; they can't rent a UK licensed car in RoI. So they MUST pay to transport the car back over the border.

So it's a fee but not crazy. I'm still waiting to hear a reply on the over 65 question.....

Susan
Expat in Waterville, Skellig Coast/Ring of Kerry

Posted by
11294 posts

"I was told that people over 65 are no longer able to rent cars in Europe. Is this true?"

It is not uniform throughout Europe, but varies from country to country and rental company to rental company. You have to check with each one.

For me, the best way to get from Belfast to Glasgow is to fly, but you can also take a combination of ferry then bus. Here, from Rome2Rio, are all the options: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Belfast/Glasgow

Be sure to go directly to the website of the airline, ferry line, bus company, etc for latest and most accurate information about times and prices. Rome 2 Rio is great for starters, but should never be taken as the final word.

Posted by
16893 posts

Age 65 is not the relevant number. Rick's summary says:

Drivers over 70 may have trouble renting in the Czech Republic, Great Britain, Greece, Northern Ireland, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Turkey; drivers over 80 may have trouble in Denmark. If you're over 69, you may be required to pay extra to rent a car in the Republic of Ireland, where the official age limit is 75 (although some rental companies will rent to those ages 76–79 if they provide extensive proof of good health and safe driving).

P.S. The driver's age is information you must provide at the time of booking, so you'll know immediately if it's going to be an issue.