Going to Ireland at the end of May for 10 days (and nights!). Two questions:
1) My research suggests that hiking boots are important at certain sights. I need a new pair anyway, so what criteria are a must? Any brand or style recommendations (women's)? We don't plan to do any serious hiking, but if anyone is likely to sprain an ankle, it's me, so I definitely need boots designed for the activity.
2) When my husband and I travel, we travel hard! I am looking for suggestions for reasonably priced B&Bs along the way (under $180/night, and no more than twice that in Dublin). I prefer "authentic" accommodations to luxury or hotel chains, but I am not opposed to one night in a fancy castle hotel (up to $1,000, provided we get good deals at our other stops), so long as it has substantial history (not one of those newer buildings made to look old). Our itinerary:
- 2 nights in or near Dublin
- 2 nights in Kilkenny
- 3 nights in Killarney (but staying with family friends)
- 1 night near Galway
- 1-2 nights in County Mayo (this is where my grandfather was from, so I hope to connect with his family or community)
- should we plan to stay 1 night near the Dublin airport for our flight out?
Thank you in advance for your input!