Please sign in to post.

Booking for Skellig Michael for summer 2018

I have searched on google for booking tickets for Skellig, but only have found a few sites. I see that most of them don't start booking for the upcoming season until February and tickets sell out within a short time period. I did receive an email from one company telling me they don't even know if they will get a permit to do it---it's left up to the government, so with that being said what is the best way to book? This is the number one thing that we want to do in Ireland, so I besides praying for the boat to set sail, I just want to secure tickets.

Posted by
1172 posts

There are only a couple of outfits that are licensed to land on Skellig. The best way is to mark the date in your calendar and contact them right away on that day.

Posted by
409 posts

I'm surprised that they aren't taking names/numbers now. I live here. I will find out from a few neighbors (boat captains) and post the answer here hopefully by end of day!

DO do your homework (to anyone else reading this). I talk to many, many, MANY disappointed travelers about this. Some don't know it's a very rough boat ride at times (check to see how many people reference throwing up on the boat if you think i'm exagerating!) it's 800+ steps with no handrail and made of stone/differing heights (Irish Coast Guard had to airlift a guy off last time I was there he got so overheated/dizzy); no bathrooms on the island..... I don't want to turn you off, as it's fantastic, but seriously I had someone email me this week asking about going there next month. Clearly did NO research other than watch Star Wars, as it's not accessible in the winter at all.....

Also - I strongly suggest staying in the area the night before and the night after. Anywhere within 20 miles or so. I met a guy on my boat who drove in from Dingle - hours and hours to get to Portmagee and was starving as he of course had to miss his breakfast to get to the boat by 9:30..... Another guy was exhausted and he was staying in Galway that night - he made friends with a couple others on the boat, and had to rush away to get to Galway instead of hanging out with the lads....

The last time I went (September) they had a cancellation and the captain saw me in the pub the night before. He said "want to go out tomorrow? great weather!" and I did..... so even if your dates are full, consider being close enough to be on the wait list!

Susan
Expat living in Waterville, Ring of Kerry.

Posted by
189 posts

I've been twice but it's been some time. Looks like the man I went with is no longer in business. I didn't have a problem reserving a date on either trip but things may have changed. When you do make the reservation talk to them about how to reschedule if the weather is bad. It helps to be in the area for a while. I didn't have a cancellation on either trip but the weather was very bad on the first trip. All but two of us were hanging over the side loosing breakfast. It was an exciting trip to say the least but when we got to Skellig the weather was great.

Hang in there and you'll get it worked. My last trip to Rome the reservations I wanted opened at 2:00 AM Eastern time so that's when I was on the phone talking to an Italian operator trying to give CC numbers etc. Miraculously it worked out and your will to.

Skellig will be worth the effort!

Posted by
269 posts

In 2016, I called in March for a spot in June, and was able to book my first choice. I had my itinerary roughed out with a few options that I could change in order to guarantee that I could book a trip. If you call in February, you should be o.k., especially if you can be flexible and adjust your schedule for a few days.

Posted by
409 posts

To all:

I've added a post that answers a few of these questions under a new heading after speaking to a handful of boat captains. I hope this helps everyone!

Susan
Expat in Waterville