Please sign in to post.

Blarney Castle

Rick is not very excited about this "lame sight." Do any of you disagree? Our travels will take us from Muckross House near Killarney to Kinsale currently via Blarney. Should we skip Blarney and spend more time in Kinsale and Cobh?

Hank

Posted by
1172 posts

We really enjoyed Blarney. The grounds are stunning and we loved exploring them. We also climbed the castle and my husband and daughter kissed the stone. I would for sure recommend.

Posted by
2 posts

I had no desire to see Blarney Castle mainly because of the write up in Rick's book. I ended up going because some friends really wanted to kiss the Blarney Stone. I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The castle grounds are beautiful. The only caveat is we went first thing in the morning. We were the only group of people in the castle when we went. People were starting to come as we left, and I could imagine it being pretty dreadful once it got crowded.

Posted by
856 posts

I skipped it on the advice of several people, but I hear the gardens are nice. In Kinsale there is Charles Fort that is quite an interesting site (oldest star for in Europe) and it has an interesting walking tour and ghost story. More to my liking than a long line up to kiss a stone.

Posted by
2367 posts

The gardens are great. Have been there twice. The first time it was maybe around noon and never again at that time. You go up a very winding circular staircase and are trapped in a long line. We got caught in the middle of two school groups. The kids were great but the teachers, oh my! Went last year first thing, it was great, very few tourists, minimal wait and then we went to tour the gardens. I seem to remember there is a place to leave a tip for the man who helps you bend down backwards to kiss the stone.

Posted by
1413 posts

Gail is right about being stuck on the stairrs at peek times (ive done it twice as a part of bus tours) so perhaps early morning is the answer. The top of the cstle is wide open, so i quickly shifted from claustrophobia to my fear of heights. The grounds are lovely, and the gift shop has woolens and pottery,, and of course there is a snack bar for sandwiches and pints (tho muckross house has similiar "classy" gift shop.....and also beautiful grounds, just no castle :)