Please sign in to post.

Best Time?

We are considering a trip (2 adult couples) to Ireland. Wondering what you consider the best time to visit Ireland?

Posted by
3227 posts

High season is considered to be the summer months as that is generally when the weather is best. Many people opt to go during shoulder season as the prices can be better. But ultimately, the best time is what works with your schedule. Just GO!!!!

Posted by
409 posts

I agree with diveloonie (AND would love to know the origin of their name!). Any time that fits. Yes, everything is open in the summer. But winter brings less tourists and interesting things, too

Today I went to The Wren in Dingle - amazing St. Stephen's festivities (tho it was dumping dumping cold rain!). So even though not as many things are available to do, there are things that are "different" off season!

Susan
Expat living in Waterville

Posted by
459 posts

Lisa we had great weather while there the last week in April and first week of May. Crowds were low, everything was open. I don't believe it ever rained the entire day, most days that had rain were off and on and did not affect our touring at all. We did a bunch of outdoor stuff. It was quite windy of course and a good jacket against the wind was a must. When we return it will most likely be late April, early May. We were fortunate to arrive in Dingle a weekend of music/arts festival and it added to the wonderful town and area. I believe the fest was on the May bank holiday weekend!

Posted by
3122 posts

The advantage of touring in spring and summer is that the days are longer, so you get more hours of daylight. The top tourist attractions are less crowded in April & May than later in the season because many families don't take their vacations until school is out for the summer; ditto for college kids traveling on their own.

Posted by
189 posts

I've been to the Dingle Peninsula twice in June. Once for three weeks and once for two weeks. The first trip there were two days of howling winds and rain. The rest of the time was great. June would be the time for me.

Posted by
359 posts

For us our favorite time is mid-late September and late April early May. We had superimposed our local weather patterns (northeast US) in our minds on Ireland and were way off. We don't enjoy large crowds and at these times of year we didn't have to deal with them and the weather was wonderful and not dramatically different from the main season. And most everything was open with a couple exceptions - for example Skellig Michael in late April.

Ireland is wonderful year round and if you are flexible in your aspirations for the visit you'll have a great time regardless. I would just say if you want to visit the big tourist sights during high season be prepared for big crowds which make it hard to feel the "real" Ireland and get to know the incredible people of Ireland.

Posted by
15582 posts

I was there 2-3 years ago in August for 2.5 weeks, no real crowds anywhere except in Dublin and then only in Temple Bar and a long line at Trinity for the Book of Kells.