Please sign in to post.

Best ruins in Ireland?

I will be in Ireland in February. Any recommendations for abbey and castle ruins? I will have a car so the more off the beaten path, the better!

Posted by
9363 posts

Where do you plan to be? There are ruins all over Ireland. Of course, the most iconic is the Rock of Cashel. Cahir and Blarney castles are nearby, as well.

Posted by
20 posts

Mostly central, eastern and southern part of the Republic of Ireland for 5 days. Rock of Cashel is on the list.

Posted by
7025 posts

Are you looking for extensive intact ruins to explore? Or more like just photo-ops? There are some awesomely scenic ruins all over Ireland but they aren't necessarily set up for touring or don't have much left to explore.

Posted by
7025 posts

A few that I loved photographing:

Near Dublin: 1) St Mary's Abbey at Howth 2) St Kevin's Monastery at Glendalough, not much left just one small bldg and a couple of towers but they are in the most scenic location 3) King John's castle at Carlingford

South (Waterford and Wexford area): 1) St Dubhan's Abbey 2) Dunbrody Abbey

Central/West: 1) Ross castle at Lough Leane Killarney 2) Abbey ruins at Ennis

If you google them you can see how photogenic they are.

Posted by
20 posts

Wow! St Dubhans looks incredible! Ill have to put that one on the list if I get in the area. Ive been to Ennis (Quin Abbey)...well worth a second look, no doubt. Hopefully a sunset/sunrise situation if I get lucky with the weather? Thanks!

Posted by
677 posts

Here are a few suggestions if you are in County Kerry. I can recommend these two small but very photogenic castles and one cathedral/abbey if you are in this area.
Carrigafoyle Castle on the Shannon Estuary
Minard Castle, Lispole, in a very remote area right on coast

Ardfert Cathedral and Abbey ruins, Ardfert
There are beautiful ruins all over. Do a search for the area you will be visiting. Check out local cemeteries too.

Posted by
20 posts

Those look great! Ill be near Ardfert since Ill be staying in Tralee. Ill check that one out for sure. Cemeteries are definitely on the to do list! Thanks!

Posted by
18 posts

Another cool castle ruin that isn't nearly as touristy or popular is Aughnanure just north of Galway. I really liked that one.

Posted by
1994 posts

In the central area of the Republic of Ireland, do visit Clonmacnoise. It's a little bit out-of-the-way, but I think it's the most impressive complex of monastic ruins. We stayed nearby to give ourselves enough time. The advantage of being a little bit out-of-the-way is that it's also less crowded than many other sites.

Posted by
398 posts

I would second St. Kevin's Cathedral in Glendalough (about 40 minutes south of Dublin), as well as Clonmacnoise (maybe an hour to 75 minutes west of Dublin). If you go to Clonmacnoise, you can stop at Tullamore and sample some of the whiskey!

And of course, the Rock of Cashel, which you've already said you are going to hit. That's a must-see if you are near that area.

Posted by
20 posts

Clonmacnoise is great! I was there a few years back. Thanks for the reminder. Ill have to stop by for a second look.

Posted by
279 posts

We went to both Aughnanure Castle and Clonmacnoise this past fall, and enjoyed both a lot. The first can be seen in an hour or so (enjoy the dogs that wander around--one fun pup greeted us when we were on the path from the parking lot and then walked us back to our car afterward, and the other two also loved being petted!). Clonmacnoise is definitely out of the way, down a single track road on which we dodged tractors and big trucks, but we did see peat being cut in the fields, which was very cool. The site itself had a neat little museum and an informative short video which you really should watch first, and then make sure you look at the gravestones as well as the chapels and high crosses, because there are some really interesting ones.

If you are near Newgrange northwest of Dublin, pop into Monastarboice, which is a small monastery that went out of use in the 12th century and is now a cemetary. The high cross there is probably the best preserved one still in its original location in the whole country, and is right next to the round tower.

Posted by
676 posts

We enjoyed Sheen Valley Heritage Area, though it is more primitive than ruins. Also, Staigue Fort on the ROK. Ballycarberry Castle was my favorite (and first castle) in ruins. There is another ring fort very close to Ballycarberry that was great as well. We didn't make it to Three Castle Head but it sounds like another great stop, well off the beaten path.

Posted by
330 posts

My favorite would be Kilmacduagh, you are almost certain to have it to your self for at least a part of your stop. Another one that you will have to yourself is Askeaton Friary. Askeaton is out of the way, but not too much of a diversion if you're going to or from Tralee. If you stop there enroute to or from Limerick, Mungret Abbey is worth a short stop also, probably not worth going out of your way, but you'll be right by it if you stop at Askeaton. There are also some good ruins in a circuit around the Dysert O'Dea Archaeology Centre. It's a bit hard to find, and is reached by a narrow road bounded by walls and hedges on the way in, wide enough for one car in many places, but I thought it was worth it, and now that it's done, the drive to and from was kind of fun. Clonmacnoise is also good, as is Glendalough, but Glendalough can be very crowded mid-day.

You may find these links helpful in your planning:
http://www.megalithicireland.com/index.html
http://www.abandonedireland.com/start.html
http://www.saintsandstones.net/saints-ireland.htm
http://irishantiquities.bravehost.com/gazetteer.html
http://www.thestandingstone.ie/

Posted by
20 posts

Great links! Thanks!! I saw the abandoned Ireland one a few weeks back and got a couple of leads. The other ones I haven't seen yet. Kilmacduagh is a good one that I forgot about. I was there in 2002. Its on my way to the Cliffs of Moher so Ill be sure to revisit.

Posted by
135 posts

Hi

two great Abbey ruins in the South East well worth visiting are Dunbrody Abbey and Tintern Abbey (the Irish one, not the Welsh one). Both less visited; both stunning and set in good locations. Two of my favourites....

Dunbrody Abbey
Tintern Abbey

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks to everyone who took the time to throw out a few suggestions! After a few weeks of research and a few suggestions, this is likely my itinerary for 5 days with a car...
Hill of Slane
Moydrum Castle
Kilmacduahg Monastic site
Cliffs Of Moher
Quin Abbey
Mungret Abbey
Carrigugunnel Castle
Dromore castle
Askeaton Friary
Artdully Castle
Coppingers Court
Castlefreke
Carrigadrohid castle
Mallow castle
Cohort Castle gate
Church ruin in Ferrypoint
Cashel
Thomastown Castle
Athassel Prioy
Clonmore Castle
Docketts grove
Rock of Dunamase
Ballynafagh church ruin
I will be photographing every one of these with a select few at sunset/sunrise, with a long exposure. Weather will be a gamble but Im hoping Ill get lucky at least a few of the 5 days. If anyone wants to follow along on my Facebook, just search "Dan Westfall Photography". Ill be starting in Scotland on February ,14 for 5 days then to Ireland starting February, 21...Thanks again for the all the tips!

Posted by
2261 posts

Hi Dan, I just found this thread and I took a look at some of your work-fabulous. Have a great trip, and please do report back here when you return.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Dan,
If you are still in Ireland you can check Lougcrew Megalithic Cairns , near to Oldcastle County Meath.
4000BC old tomb on top of the hill. The key to get inside is available in Loughcrew Cafe approximately 3 km before the site.
I post short video below to get idea about the place.. hope it helps :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8WO6gGtcLo

Posted by
20 posts

I just posted my first photo on Facebook of my 5 day off the beaten path, best ruins of Ireland excursion!
Im posting mostly black and white long exposure shots. Feel free to comment! Thanks!!
On Facebook its " Dan Westfall Photography"

Posted by
2708 posts

I have been following you on Facebook. Your pictures are astoundingly beautiful, and I am really enjoying them. I hope you travel a lot!

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks!
Ive posted a few more on Facebook in the last day or two. Im about half way done now so look for a few more starting later today.