Please sign in to post.

best location

traveling from U.S. to the U.K. entire month of June. 2 adults/2 older teens. London to Edinburgh by train. Renting car to drive up coast then down to ferry across to Belfast for a couple of days and then driving to Dublin for a few more days before heading back home. Question: What is a good location to stay in both these cities? Would rather take public transit as much as possible while in both cities. Airbnb or hotel will be fine. Thank you in advance for your help.

Posted by
16174 posts

Are you planning to drop the car in Dublin and fly back from there? Have you actually reserved a rental car? Auto Europe says international one-way journeys between the U.K. and Ireland are not permitted.

Posted by
1916 posts

I always recommend booking.com. You do not have to. book through them. You can use them just for research. And you can learn a lot about a place from description as well as reviews.

Posted by
2361 posts

I am confused. You are not planning to take car from UK on ferry to N. Ireland are you?

Posted by
16174 posts

It sounds like that is the plan, but they are probably in the process of finding out that won’t work.

Posted by
9 posts

My fault, but there seems to be some confusion to my request. We plan to leave the car at Carinryan and ferry across to Belfast for a few days.. Rent a car in Belfast for drive to Giants Causeway, Donegal, Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher, and Dingle. Will return car in Dublin. Will stay a few days in Dublin and return the car there. Need hotel or airbnb suggestions in the cities since we’re not sure of best, most convenient location to stay.

Posted by
5681 posts

There was another recent thread where it was found there is no car hire place at either Cairnryan or Stranraer. Cairnryan I can first hand confirm.
Best to drop the car in Glasgow and take the coach.
Two companies run from Glasgow to Belfast. Hannons and Scottish Citylink.
Both are on line.
Take your choice.
Hannons coach drives onto the ship. City link is foot pax boarding/disembark at each port