Please sign in to post.

Belfast to edinburgh

Can anybody advise me the best modes of transportation from Belfast to Edinburgh? Thinking after our ireland adventure, we would head to Scotland for a week or so. Would love to hear "must sees":in Scotland...we have been to the Kelpies as well as Loch Lomond and have explored the city of Edinburg 3 years ago. Thanks!

Posted by
6788 posts

Fly. You have plenty of options. For non-stops, take your pick from EasyJet, Flybe, or Aer Lingus. Daily flights (sometimes several times during the day), all are either cheap or crazy cheap. Belfast has two airports (BFS and BHD) with service to Edinburgh.

I can't imagine a good reason to go by some means other than flying.

Posted by
2267 posts

I'm a big fan of both ferries and trains. Not so much busses.

I'd fly.

Posted by
169 posts

Flying was extremely east in 2019, probably a total of 3.5 hours leaving Belfast, and walking out of Edinburgh airport. We took Ryan air

Posted by
38 posts

We are planning to fly from Edinburgh to Belfast. Aer Lingus was very competitive. Not over Easy Jet taking my money during Covid.

Posted by
15018 posts

remember you are travelling within the UK so you really need to be at the airport an hour or two before departure to get through security there is no immigration travelling within the United Kingdom

Make it two hours. I flew out of Belfast City three weeks ago and security took over 30 minutes. It is the most amateurish airport security I have ever been through. The 90 year old you first run into kept saying toilletries and liquids had to come out. I asked about electonics--twice--and all he said was liquids and toiletries.

Of course, my bag was dinged due to electronics. There were six bags ahead of me and only one person going throuh bags. Five others were standing around chatting. Finally, one other went to work When it got to mine, she looked through everything, I mean everything......every bill in my money belt, every piece of clothing, everthing. She then separated everything into three trays and ran each one through again. Whe she was finished 20 minutes later, she asked if I needed help putting things back. As I put everything is a packing cube or sac, I asked how she could help if she didn't know where things go. She then asked if I would move everything to a table on the other side. I said no.

It's a private contracter and they couldn't care less.

I have been pulled out before at other airports but usually the security officers pinpoint what they want to check. These amateurs go through everything.

I feel bad for the long line of people waiting for their bags to be checked. Some may have missed their flights.

If you've been to Edinburgh, why not fly to Glasgow or Inverness and then head up to the Highlands?

Posted by
138 posts

We toured Scotland, then did train to York and London. Then flew from Heathrow to Dublin. After driving to Kinsale, Dingle and Adare, we took car back to Dublin airport and after spending one more night, took the train to Belfast. We did fly home (Phoenix) from the Belfast City Airport thru Heathrow. We didn't experience problems with security at the Belfast City Airport.