Please sign in to post.

Belfast, Ireland

We (3 women in our sixties) are planing a road trip in Ireland. We will be starting out in Belfast. Is 2 days enough time in the city and will we need a car for getting around Belfast? Also any suggestions of places to visit would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
3122 posts

You might enjoy going out to Mount Stewart, stately home that was the seat of the Vane-Tempest-Stewart family (Marquess of Londonderry). The daughter Lady Mairi Bury lived most of her life there and after her death it was willed to the National Trust.

Posted by
8668 posts

No need for a car in Belfast city but if you want to see the other parts of NI then yes a car is useful unless you wish to take local busses which take far too much time in a two day schedule.

In Belfast these spots are great:

St George's market for lunch from a food stall
or Mourne's next to the friendly Kelly's Cellar Pub ( I still dream of the seafood chowder at Mournes)
Titanic Museum (really well done)
Botanical Gardens
A Black Cab tour of The Troubles ( fascinating)
Crumlin Road Gaol ( really enjoyed this tour)

Having your own car would be a PIA finding parking and dealing with congested streets. Simply walk and budget for cabs.

Posted by
9 posts

Wow, you guys were quick with your replies! Thank you so much. We will be renting a car, but wasn't sure if we would need it in Belfast. The ideas of what to see are great! Yes, I did know that the pound is the currency in NI, but a good point that I'm sure a lot of people don't know. Thanks to all who replied.