Please sign in to post.

Beer in Ireland

I’m headed to Ireland in a week, and I wanted to ask about the beer scene before I go there and hurt someone’s feelings or get myself thrown out of a pub. I love all the varieties of beer (especially the micro-brews) one can find here in the U.S. all over the country. My favorite style is imperial stout. I consider even the bottled Guinness just an ok stout compared to all the other choices available here and the Guinness draught sold in a can here tastes like little more than dark water. I have on occasion been able to find a Foreign Extra version of bottled Guinness here, and it is noticeably better than the regular bottled style. I hear that the Guinness sold in Ireland is better than what’s available here, and I very much look forward to having a few pints of it, but when I go to the typical pub in Dublin or out beyond the Pale, can I expect to find much of any variety of beer, or should I just ask for a pint (of Guinness or Murphy’s) and wait for my Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stout micro-brews back home?

Posted by
8663 posts

Seriously? Of course you will find other beers than Guinness but IMHO why bother?

Smithwicks, Murphy’s, Beamish, O’hara’s stouts

Heck you’ll even find Budweiser.

Posted by
1172 posts

There is a huge beer scene in Ireland as well. Guiness there is like nothing here in North America so after having it there, you may stick to it but if not, there are a ton of others to try.

Posted by
2822 posts

You won't be disappointed.
While Guinness and Murphy's are the stars of the show (and are unlike anything you'll find by the same names in the US) there are plenty of other local brands to keep you occupied for the length of your stay.
Best bet is to chat with the bar tender at whatever pub you happen to be in and ask about the local stuff. He'll probably have a half dozen "tasting glasses" lined up on the bar before you have a chance to take off your coat, and if any of the regulars overhear you'll likely be drinking for free.

Posted by
359 posts

GREAT advice from Robert. Talk to the bartender....it's incredible the difference between a bar in the states and a pub in Ireland. We ended up with many free samples, great talk, fun and free GREAT beers from super genuine warm locals most everywhere. It's an awesome experience and we aren't even that outgoing. You'll have a great time. As long as you don't take yourself too seriously the Irish take you in as one of their own in an amazingly warm, real way. And the Guinness there is totally different than here. Hate it here......Love it there.

Posted by
6534 posts

Plenty of varieties of beer so you shouldn’t have much of a problem finding one you like. In many pubs you can get a small sample to see if you like it before ordering an entire piece not.

Posted by
5326 posts

Regular Guinness as I am sure you are aware is not an Imperial Stout - for one thing it is around half the strength necessary to be considered as one. It is a massed-produced but honest session dry stout. The Foreign Extra is still understrength for an Imperial.

You can find stouts at Imperial strength (8-12% ABV) from around Ireland without much difficulty if you want to drink them instead.

Posted by
5261 posts

I'll have to respectfully disagree about Hop House 13 lager. If you're a fan of stout and other beers with flavour and character you probably won't think much of Hop House. It's simply another generic bland lager brewed by Guinness. The name conjures up visions of a heavily hopped beer in a similar vein to many of the current 'IPA' style beers that are popular but sadly it isn't. Not bad for a thirst quencher but I wouldn't go back for a second pint.

Posted by
26 posts

They also have small local breweries in Ireland as well. I don't know where your itinerary is taking you, but if you find yourself in Dingle, check out Dick Mack's. I particularly enjoyed their coffee stout at the food festival last fall.

Posted by
42 posts

A Guiness is not always a Guiness, apparently. In talking to some locals in a pub, they were discussing how one pub's Guiness was much better, or worse, than another's or even the Guiness last Friday was better. It's possible they were simply pulling my leg and having some fun at my expense (an obvious foreigner), but I think they were serious. You should definitely try one, or two, or twenty!

Posted by
332 posts

I don't have much to add in terms of beer, although I did drink a lot of it. However, I was surprised that the simple G & T is very popular in Ireland. Specifically, Dingle Gin and Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic. I encourage you to take a quick break from the Guinness and Murphy's to try it.