Please sign in to post.

Aran islands from Galway or Doolin?

Hello all!
Planning a mid April trip to Ireland and really would like to visit the Aran Islands on a day visit. I know I can make the trip from Doolin or Galway both of which I am planning to visit. Any feedback on which departure point is best in terms of likelihood of the trip happening and journey experience? I know weather can cancel ferries and wondered if one departure point was more likely than the other in your experience! Thanks for any tips!

Posted by
598 posts

We stayed in Kilronan overnight, and the B&B operator would not accept a reservation if we came from Doolin, due to the odds of leaving her with a no show (even though I offered to pay in advance). The Rossaveal route is about half the distance on the water and is on a much larger vessel. The days we went, both routes operated normally.

Posted by
2815 posts

You can fly over from Galway With This Company and thus avoid all of the potential drama (and sea sickness) of a ferry crossing - it's a much quicker way to go and doesn't cost that much more.
Departing from Doolin is risky, but it does have the advantage of highlighting beautiful views of the cliffs - especially in the late afternoon.
The ferries do cancel during periods of high sea states and even when they are operating you may not want to be aboard during a rough crossing.

Posted by
755 posts

We drove to Galway, parked the car, and rode the ferry to the island to spend a few days. Quick and easy.

Posted by
2815 posts

The ferry landing is actually about an hour west of Galway by car at Rossaveel. The little Connemara airport is about 45 minutes west of town along the same road.
The boats departing from Doolin are smaller craft and thus a bit more unreliable than the larger boats (about 100 ft) that depart from Rossaveel. It can be a rough ride from either place so you may want to consider the potential for discomfort during the crossing during your planning.

Posted by
10206 posts

Last August we flew to Inishmore from the airport outside Galway and it was great. We didn’t have to worry about how rough the water might be and we got to the island a couple of hours before the first ferry arrived. We took the latest flight back. We could have stayed longer if we were traveling by ferry, but we had plenty of time anyway and doesn’t regret our decision.

On the flight to Inishmore I sat up front with the pilot. It’s the most scenic and fun 7 minute flight you will ever take.

Posted by
9 posts

Anyone have any experience with Aran Island Ferry that departs from Galway City Dock and includes Cliffs of Moher?