Please sign in to post.

Aran Islands

I'm planning to come into Shannon a couple of days early before my 8 day Ireland tour. I was wondering if it is worthwhile to go out to the Aran Islands. Has anyone used a tour company that would do a pick up at the Ennis Hotel?

Posted by
508 posts

Absolutely worth the trip to Inishmore and Inisheer, where you'll hear Irish spoken amongst the residents unless they're talking with visitors. Be sure to see the Dun Aengus ring fort on Inishmore. It's a few miles away from Kilronan, the only town on the island. You can hire a taxi to take you there.

Posted by
1357 posts

A few years ago we took the ferry from Doolin to Inis Oirr for a day trip and loved it! BTW - the ferry doesn't run in rough seas. You could rent a car in Ennis for a day and drive over to Doolin via the Cliffs of Moher (a must see).

Posted by
2790 posts

These guys have a couple that might be of interest: https://wildatlanticwaydaytours.com/tours-cat/ennis/
Seeing the cliffs from the perspective of the water is a much more pleasant experience than fighting the crowds at the visitor center on top, especially in the light of mid to late afternoon when the sun illuminates them in all their glory.