Please sign in to post.

aran islands

I have heard that the Blasket Island is closed in October. Does anyone know the status of Aran Islands? Overnite or day trip in October? By air or ferry?
Thank you for your thoughts.
Catherine, Oregon

Posted by
62 posts

Hi Catherine - I visited the Aran Islands (Inis Mor) last October, 1st thru the 8th. Had no problem and it was business as usual. Definitely stay overnight (I recommend Kilmurvey House in Kilronan). It's a little chilly, but nothing extreme (I'm sure you're used to much worse in Oregon!) I took the ferry (Island Ferries) and although it was a little bumpy, nothing my patch didn't take care of. You can take a minivan tour (they are usually there at the ferry landing) and like Rick says, pick one who loves to talk!

Happy travels!

Posted by
2822 posts

The last residents departed the Blaskets many years ago, so the boat trips out to the islands are tours rather than a scheduled ferry. I believe that the company still operates in October but you'd best explore their website at https://www.marinetours.ie/ to confirm schedules and details. Note that the boats are smaller craft - about 40 ft in length versus 120 ft. for the Aran ferries - so they'll tend to rock and roll more in even moderate seas.
The Aran ferries operate year round to service the thriving communities on the islands, with the most popular trip being from Rossaveel to Inishmor...where Dun Aengus Fort is located. The ferries are sea state dependent too, although being larger boats they can typically handle rougher seas better than the tour boats. Suggest checking the weather forecast a day or two before you propose to go before committing to a specific crossing - it helps to have a calm, sunny day. There will be tour vans lined up on the pier as you disembark the ferry. There are also jaunting car tours and bikes available.
The Aran Ferry company offers transfers from Galway town (for a fee) if you don't want to drive out to the ferry landing yourself.