Please sign in to post.

Aran Islands

Should I stay 2 nights in Galway so we can go to Aran islands?
Currently booked 2 nights in Dingle and one in Galway.
Should we stay one night in Dingle and 2 in Galway?
Also staying 2 nights in Ring of Kerry before Dingle

Posted by
16 posts

Dingle is much nicer in my opinion. One night Galway is plenty. Hope you manage a drive out to Slea Head. The scenery is beautiful.

Posted by
8346 posts

I really enjoyed the Aran Isands. What would be your goal once you got there? It is lovely to explore and relax there. You can take a tour, rent bikes (I strongly suggest the ebike version) and walk. I would caution you that my sister found the ferry to and from the island (out of Galway) uncomfortable. It didn't bother me, but she was quite anxious the entire ride.

I wonder if you couldn't spend the night on the Aran Islands instead of returning to Galway on the same day. I'd much rather be on the island than in Galway.

Posted by
508 posts

The boat ride to the Aran Islands is a treat itself, as are a day and night on one or more of the islands.

By Galway, do you mean the town or county? The ferry from Rossaveel (west of Galway Town) to the islands is the only one operating to/from County Galway these days. The ferry directly from Galway Town to the islands ceased operations around 1998, when we last took it.

I'd suggest one night in Galway Town (or just about anywhere in County Galway) and one in Doolin, from where you can take the ferry to any of the three islands. But Slea Head is also tough to beat for its remoteness and tranquility. Doolin also has three pubs offering great trad music sessions, particularly in the summer. It's considered the mecca of trad in Ireland.