Please sign in to post.

Aran Islands?

We plan on going to at least one of the Aran Islands on our upcoming trip to Ireland in September. I can't seem to find the schedule for the ferries from Rosseveale (sp?), but was wondering if it is possible or recommended to visit all 3 in a day? If only 1 island is recommended, which one would that be? We like history and Irish culture and love the pubs!! We would most likely be taking public transport or hiring a driver for our time on the islands. Thank you for any input or advice!!

Posted by
8375 posts

I suppose everyone's travel style is different, but if it were me, I would focus on just one island and spend time enjoying and exploring it. I think you will be quite rushed otherwise.

There is a shuttle from Galway that brings people to the ferry that might be helpful for you. Here is the link
http://www.aranislandferries.com/shuttle_bus.php

Posted by
195 posts

Thank you both for the ferry schedule link. We like to savour the place we are visiting but I couldn't tell from the descriptions if there was a day's worth of sightseeing (although we are happy to spend time in a pub, as well!), hence the question about visiting all 3 islands. It sounds as if they all have interesting sights, but which one would be the best (most interesting, most comprehensive) if visiting only one island?? We are staying in Kinvara for several days and the Aran Islands would be just one of our days while there in Kinvara. This will be our 3rd trip to Ireland, each visit was a month long, however we have never ventured out to the Aran Islands!!

Posted by
130 posts

My husband and I stayed one night on Inishmore, the largest of the three islands. We purchased tickets for the bus from Galway to Rossaveal and the ferry to Inishmore through Aran Island Ferries. In fact, when we booked our tickets for the bus/ferry, we were able to request the bus driver pick us up at a bus stop near our bed and breakfast as it was on the route to Rossaveal. We took the early morning ferry arriving on Inishmore about 11 am. I believe the larger island is the third stop on the ferry route. We were able to walk to our bed and breakfast. Having settled in, we explored the port and hired a driver to take us around the island. The island was delightful and very peaceful after the day trippers departed on the 4pm ferry to Galway. We enjoyed the pub dinner and listening to the native language of the islanders. The next morning we took a smaller ferry to Doolin. I booked this service online with Doolin Ferries. Be aware, the ferry crossings can be rough so plan ahead for nausea. We were there in September and the weather was cloudy and cool in the am and sunny and breezy in the afternoon. I took ginger candy for the nausea and was glad I had read this hint on Rick Steve’s forum. We had a private guide meet us in Doolin for the remainder of our stay in Ireland. PM me if you have further questions,

Posted by
195 posts

Thank you, Val. It sounds as if InishMor would be our best choice. We only want to do a day trip, though, so we will be four of the "daytrippers"!! We, too, enjoy the pubs and listening to the locals....have spent a lot of time in Ireland, but not as much as we would like!! Seasickness is not a problem for any of us.....all have spent much time on sailboats and small boats, but ginger pills are good for that, if necessary!! Glad they worked for you!!

Posted by
14 posts

I loved inishmore ! We took the ferry over for the day, took a jaunting cart to the cliffs. It was all so peaceful...the next time I would definitely stay overnight

Posted by
502 posts

I've been on Inishmore Island two times and loved every second of it. I especially recommend renting a bicycle.

However, a friend who visited Inishmore and Inisheer said she found the latter to be much nicer. There is more authentic Celtic culture, she found.

There is a ferry that will drop you off on Inisheer.

Whatever your plans, have a great time.