My husband, son, and I stayed at Airbnbs in Ireland this May in Dublin, Belfast, Donegal, Dingle, and Kinsale. All our experiences were all very positive ones.
In Dublin, though we purchased Hop On-Hop Off tickets, we did not actually need them. The HOHO was nice for convenience and I'm not sorry we got them, but everything--including Kilmainham Gaol--was within walking distance. (Some may not consider the gaol to be within walking distance, but we got an early start on a Sunday morning and found ourselves there well before our tour was to begin.) All of our Airbnbs were similarly well situated. We never had to drive once we arrived. We did not get back in the car until we were ready to set out for our next destination.
As I don't know where your itinerary is taking you, I'm just listing the places that we stayed--in case you will be visiting these towns also. I booked these well in advance and was pleased with every one of them--though if you check them out, you can see that in character they are quite different from each other.
- Dublin, listed as "Dublin City St Patrick's Cathedral Temple Bar." Host's name: Eileen.
- Belfast, listed as "Belfast city apartment / free wifi." Hosts' names: Alan and Margaret
- Donegal, listed as "Traditional Irish Cottage - Donegal Town." Host's name: Gayle (She
gave us a tour of the town after we arrived.)
- Dingle, listed as "Lovely Apartment In Middle Of Town." Host's name: Katleen.
- Kinsale, listed as "Historic Luxurious Property- Kinsale Town Centre" Host's name: Joanna
Best wishes on your trip.