Please sign in to post.

Advice for travel to Ireland


In early Feb. I booked flights, car rental and accommodations for a two-week solo trip April 28-May 14. All bookings can be easily cancelled, or refunded excluding the Aer Lingus flight.

They offer no refund, only waived change fees to rebook within a time limit! At this point, I wouldn't even know what future date to change my trip to.

CDC has a Level 3 warning that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to the UK and Ireland. My trip is certainly nonessential. It's unconscionable at this point with the global pandemic being declared to absolutely refuse to issue refunds in the wake of borders closing, all schools closing, many businesses and tourist attractions shutting.

Governments are asking people not to gather in groups more than 10 and advising self isolation, yet Aer Lingus expects to board hundreds of people into an aircraft? Am I missing something?
I would appreciate any feedback or perspectives on your own upcoming trip to Ireland.
Thank you!

Posted by
138 posts

Could you consider a trip in the fall? By then, hopefully, the world will be open again.

Posted by
2102 posts

We also have a flight on Delta to/from London/Dublin and an aer lingus flight between the two cities. Delta is still flying to the UK so they have not cancelled our flight yet and Aer Lingus just is waiving fees, as you stated. We were going April 27. We, too, don’t know when we can travel to these countries. We were going to a wedding and we haven’t heard yet when and if it will be rescheduled. We will be waiting for another few weeks.

Posted by
9 posts

You still have a couple weeks before your trip, so anything could happen before then. I imagine the airlines aren't in a rush to cancel flights & refund money this far in advance. Eventually Ireland could close their borders or Aer Lingus could start cutting/consolidating flights. Just hang in there for now and see what happens! I'm in a similar situation, so I know how frustrating it can be!

Posted by
147 posts

(Unless I'm misunderstanding you) They are not offering a "cancel" option at this time. Only resched. And given the current lack of info about when in the future that will be worth doing that's proving not to be an attractive option. I'm in the same boat.

As prev posters have mentioned. Give them a few days. Ireland seems like on the edge of implementing more closures which may make the Airline reconsider.

Or not.

Posted by
985 posts

Hang in and rebook for the fall if things in Ireland are shut down in April. Don't cancel the trip and miss out on the fun you're planning to have - even if it's delayed by a few months.

Posted by
1172 posts

Your trip is over a month away.. with how rapidly things are changing, Are Lingus may not be flying at that time. At this point, I would cancel what you can and sit tight on your flight until closer to the date

Posted by
14 posts

I am in the same boat too. Our two week trip begins May 23rd. I would like to re-book for May 2021. Does anyone know how long Aer Lingus would let me re-book?

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you to each one for your replies.

@jim.hudson. Re the time frame to rebook, I found this: "Changes are permitted from the same country of origin only and all travel must be completed within one year of the original date of purchase."
It was not in the highlighted covid19 alert. ( ) I had to poke around the website, so best to verify.

EDIT: Email notice for Vouchers +10% offered today.....glad I waited before changing the flight.

Posted by
3557 posts

I just got an email, too. It applies to flights scheduled before May 31. My RT Seattle to Dublin flights are both in May, so it got my attention.

If you get one do the following for more info:

  1. Under Apply for a voucher, click on Terms and Conditions apply.
  2. That will take you to EU 261/2004. Click on the cancellation link.
  3. That will download a pdf titled AER LINGUS FLIGHT CANCELLATION NOTICE. It has 3 pages.

It appears that it might be possible to be compensated for a flight canceled by them, but some of the wording is confusing.

And the exceptions on the last page look sticky to me, especially this one:

we can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable
measures had been taken.

P.S. I just tried the directions above again and got a message that said their website is down for a "Scheduled Upgrade 00:01 - 04:30 GMT Thursday 19 March" so don't be upset by that.

P.P.S. This article from the Irish Times on Monday is mostly about Ryanair, but the 2nd paragraph says this:

"The parent company of Aer Lingus, IAG has also said it expects to have to cut its schedule by at least three quarters in the months ahead as the spread of the coronavirus brings air travel across much of the world to a virtual standstill."

Perhaps the Aer Lingus "upgrade" will cover this.

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you for replying! I just got the email too. My return flight is June 6th so I was wondering if I would get a voucher for the return flight? I was hoping the departing flight date was the controlling factor.