Please sign in to post.

Accommodations in Ireland

I’m planning a trip to Ireland in September/October timeframe this year and was alerted that perhaps accommodations may be a little tricky for two reasons.
First, due to the usual tourist demand and second, many thousands of Ukrainian refugees have taken flight to Ireland.
I was wondering if anyone had experienced difficulties in lining up overnight accommodations?
Thank you

Posted by
10203 posts

I was in Ireland last August and didn’t have any problems lining up an assortment of B&B’s, airbnbs and hotels. I would look now at the areas you are interested in and book reservations you can cancel in case you change your mind. I didn’t see any evidence of an influx of refugees. I’d say if they are there they are likely in a larger city.

Posted by
508 posts

The Internet has all but destroyed the in-country flexibility and serendipity in securing B&Bs, hotels and even a table for dinner that we had enjoyed on multiple trips since the late 1980s. Gone are the days of pulling into a town or village and knocking on a door or two to get a room. Many eateries have also closed because of the pandemic and those remaining are closed one day a week (the days vary) due to staff shortages.

So join the crowd and make your reservations now. For last summer's 30-day trip, I didn't begin booking B&Bs until May (it took a full month) and, with a couple of exceptions, basically got the leftovers.

At that time there were some 50,000 Ukranian refugees in Ireland occupying many a hotel in cities, towns and villages. Their restaurants were also off limits to tourists. In the Co. Clare village of Ballyvaughan, for example, its small hotel and restaurant were given over to care for the refugees "...until our job is done" as the sign on the grounds proclaims.