Please sign in to post.

A month in Ireland spring 2022

I am planning a month long trip April/May/June 2022, dates are flexible. I have been there twice-1979 and 2015. I’m a genealogy hobbyist. Initial plan is a week in Dublin-planning to do some genealogy or I wouldn’t stay this long. Non luxury hotel recommendations? I’ll need to spend a couple days in County Carlow where the ancestors were from (Hacketstown). The rest of the trip in the countryside. I’d like 2 bases to stay in. I’ll have a car when not in Dublin. I’m thinking Galway area and maybe Killarney for bases though I’d really prefer to be outside those main cities. Looking for small cities to base out of and any lodging links you might have. Thanks!

Posted by
1448 posts

You might try something like my friend did: She wanted a writing retreat in Village England; so she negotiated a month at a B&B...taking the smallest room, and she offered to help with setting tables and plate pickup when needed. She has become life long friends with the Landlords and they still exchange visits.

Posted by
2822 posts

Most here would advise against staying in Killarney - too much of a congested mess even during shoulder season. There are a couple of better options:
Can find a place somewhere in the stretch between Glenbeigh and Castlemaine located northwest of Killarney. It's about halfway between Dingle and the National Park but in a much more relaxed country setting. From there it's an easy day trip by car to explore the northern half of the ROK, the Skellig Ring Road, Valencia Island, and the exquisite Gap of Dunloe, or less than an hour in the other direction is Dingle and Slea Head drive. With that much time time to spare you could also explore the northern part of the Dingle peninsula - a beautiful area in its own right but one that's overlooked by most visitors.

Another option is to stay in or near the village of Kenmare, which is handy for the southern part of the ROK as well as for explorations out onto the Beara peninsula ... one of Ireland's better kept secrets in my opinion, featuring beautiful seascapes similar to those seen on the ROK but without the crowds. The Beara Way hiking trail circles the peninsula and has many beautiful stretches if you're a hiker.

Consider Clifden as your other base - about an hour NW of Galway. It's on the very scenic Connemara loop, is close to the Sky Road scenic drive, the ferry landing at Rossaveal for the short ferry out to the Aran Islands, and is only about 15 minutes from the village of Cleggan where you can jump on the ferry for a day out on the island of Inishbofin - another of Ireland's best kept secrets.
We've had good luck with booking.com and AirBnB, as well as this place which features a number of thatched cottages at reasonable prices:https://www.hogansirishcottages.com/.

Posted by
1366 posts

Re Dublin lodging, generally speaking hotels north of the River Liffey (but west of the Custom House), will be less expensive than those near Trinity College and St. Stephen's Green. I stayed at Wynn's, https://www.wynnshotel.ie, in 2018. It's still walking distance to Trinity College and St. Stephen's Green and the rooms are comfortable albeit small. Breakfast was included. Its main drawback is that there's a light rail stop directly in front. So there's more street noise and it can draw a less than salubrious crowd. However as a short middle aged woman walking around by myself I never felt threatened or uncomfortable. Further north on O'Connell St. is a Holiday Inn Express, https://www.hiexdublincc.com. I don't know anything about it.