Please sign in to post.

$$$$$$

What's the best approach to getting Euro when you fly into Dublin? .... and Pounds when taking the train from Dublin to Belfast. A few of our tours want $$ instead of credit card. ... go to an ATM? a bank? at the airport?

Also, do smaller towns like Kinsale and Dingle prefer cash or credit card?

thanks!

Posted by
8147 posts

Look for a bank ATM.

Stay away from Travelex, American Express and other non-bank ATM's as they'll charge you heavily and not give your proper exchange rate.

You local home town bank can get you pounds or other currencies, but they hit a profit home run on the exchange every time.

Posted by
6510 posts

Yes, an ATM attached to an actual bank, preferably when it's open so someone can help you if it eats your card or something. And use a debit card, not a credit card, to avoid interest charges.

In Belfast, try not to get more pounds than you think you'll need. They'll be Bank of Ireland notes, which may not be as readily accepted in the rest of the UK (though they could be exchanged at a bank). So you may not want to have too much left over.

I didn't find any reluctance in Kinsale or Dingle to accept cash or my credit card. Do what works for you. I try to use cash for smaller purchases and the card for dinners or bigger expenses.

Posted by
59 posts

Yes Belfast is in Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom 🇬🇧 so the UK uses pounds subdivided into 100 pence (p) so one pound is made up of 100 pence you can withdraw pounds at the ATM at lanyon place station where the enterprise terminates in Belfast

Posted by
8384 posts

I want to mention that with the exception of your tours that request cash, you will need very little cash in either place. Your card should work just fine.

Posted by
59 posts

Actually you're wrong there there's quite a few places in Northern Ireland that are cash only I should know I live here and I am from Northern Ireland I'd always have at least £50 in cash in my wallet

Posted by
2676 posts

I always get local currency before I leave the US from my bank, wells fargo. Sure, it might cost me a little more, but then I don’t have to worry about finding an ATM and wonder if my card will work or get eaten by the machine. I don’t mind paying a little more if it reduces my stress. It’s not like it cost thousands of dollars extra to get the money here.

Posted by
59 posts

Also be aware that three local commercial banks in Northern Ireland issue their own banknotes these circulate beside and are equal in value to the Normal Bank of England banknotes ,the bank of England is despite its name the central bank of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and they allow 3 banks in NI and Three banks in Scotland to print their own banknotes these are all British currency and worth the same as the bank of England banknotes