Thank you in advance for your help! My fiance and I will be going on our honeymoon in Ireland from April 13 - April 22, 2018. We love being outdoors and think that for this trip, we would prefer to spend more time in villages than in the city. We HAVE to visit County Mayo (Westport) since that's where his ancestors were from but have no idea what to see/do and it's pretty out of the way of the rest of our itinerary. Any tips and advice are appreciated and we're also open to any B&B and dining recommendations!
Also, since we haven't booked any flights yet, we can totally change the itinerary and fly in/out of Dublin or Shannon. We aren't particularly tied to see the south/southwest part of Ireland but that seems like the most common/popular part of the country to see!
Friday (4/13): Overnight flight from Boston --> Dublin
Saturday (4/14): Land early morning in Dublin. The goal is to stay awake for as long as possible.
- kilmainham gaol
- Trinity college + book of Kells
- Grafton street?
Sunday (4/15): Dublin
- Guinness storehouse tour
- St. Patrick's cathedral (Evensong service at 3:15PM) for mass
- Drive to Kilkenny for dinner (recommendations please!) and overnight
Monday (4/16): Kilkenny Castle, Rock of Cashel, drive to Kilnare for the night for dinner at Fishy Fishy
Tuesday (4/17): Stop by Blarney Castle quickly, then drive towards Ring of Kerry
- Options to stop in Cork for part of the day, Torc Waterfall, or Muckross House? Any opinions?
- Hope to start Ring of Kerry mid-late afternoon and stay overnight in Waterville
Wednesday (4/18): Finish Ring of Kerry, including Skellig Road + Part of Dingle Peninsula
- Skellig chocolate factory
- Drive to Dingle and plan to stay at Milltown House
- Any stops along the way? We are worried the Gap of Dunloe/Killarney are too out of the way for a stop
Thursday (4/19): Finish Dingle Peninsula
- Drive to Doonin in the afternoon, taking the ferry at Tarbert
- Any recommendations for the overnight in Doolin?
Friday (4/20): Doolin cave + Cliffs of Moher
- Doolin Cliff Walk which should take all morning/early afternoon
- Drive to Westport in the afternoon --> what should we see? Where should we stay?
Saturday (4/21): Westport
- After dinner, will drive the 2 hours to Shannon airport for overnight
Sunday (4/22): Morning flight from Shannon back to Boston.
If you've made it to the bottom of this post, THANK YOU! Can't wait to read all of your advice.