Please sign in to post.

7 days in Ireland May 2018

This is our preliminary itinerary for 7+ days in Ireland. Can we do this without a rental car? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Any recommendations for B&Bs in Dingle? Thanks.

Wednesday May 9

London to Dublin flight (one-way)

Check in at Howth (north) or Dun Laoghaire

Thursday May 10

Dublin

Friday May 11

Dublin - day trip to Belfast or south along the east coast on train

Saturday May 12

Dublin to Dingle 4-hour train, 1 hour bus
(or 1 hour flight (11:55 p.m.) to Kerry Airport, 1 hour bus)

Sunday May 13

Dingle – Peninsula Loop Trip by bike

Monday May 14

Dingle

Tuesday May 15

Dingle to Kerry Airport, 1:20 flight to Dublin

Wednesday May 16

flight from Dublin to Minneapolis
departs 10:00 a.m.

Posted by
3122 posts

I'm basically just replying to bump your inquiry since I see there are no replies yet. I don't have personal experience using public transport to visit the places you've listed, but it looks like it could be fairly stressful. You'll be wrangling your luggage on & off trains & buses so travel light -- but for Ireland that's not so easy because you need to be prepared for rain and temperature fluctuations.

It sounds like you are more interested in the countryside than cities, is that right? Hence your first day not spent in Dublin? In any case, I would say skip the Belfast day trip, unless you go with a tour such as https://www.paddywagontours.com/BELFAST-Including-Titanic-Experience-Day-Tour-From-DUBLIN
Trying to do it on your own by public transport would be a hassle, I think.

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for the bump. New to the forum, so not sure of the protocol. We have revised our itinerary since this post, adding an extra day and heading west immediately, to include time in Doolin. Have also decided to do the rental car out west, as the public transport looks difficult at times. Thanks for the advice on the Belfast tour.

The new itinerary:

Tuesday May 8

London to Shannon flight (one-way) pick up rental car at 11:45 a.m.
Drive to Doolin (1 hour)

Wednesday May 9

Doolin

Thursday May 10

Doolin to Dingle drive (3 hours)

Friday May 11

Dingle

Saturday May 12

Dingle – Peninsula Loop Trip by bike?

Sunday May 13

Dingle to Kerry Airport (1 hour) – drop off rental car
7:30 a.m. flight to Dublin (1 hour)

Check in at Buswells?

Monday May 14

Dublin - day trip to Belfast or south along the east coast on train

Tuesday May 15

Dublin

Wednesday May 16

flight back from Dublin
departs 10:00 a.m.
arrives MSP 3:20 p.m.

Posted by
26 posts

I just returned from England/Ireland trip. I am 70 female experienced solo traveler. Ricks books are my travel bible for past 5 years for Europe. Having said that, I use Air bnb. Usually train travel with car rental when necessary. In Ireland car was necessary to get in all I wanted to see in my time frame, but only after I got to Kilkenny after Dublin. Rock of Cashel is nearby but also Abbey and Priory!
Amazing as per R's guide. Did rent in Dublin as I left area for Kilkenny this time to enjoy coastal areas on my way south. Two nite s in Dublin plenty for me but I am not big into nightlife. Stayed North of river in Georgian oval studio on park near public bus courtesy air bnb. My deluxe nites. I go high and low.
Kilkenny could have been two nights also but only spent one - loved it there - vibrant with amazing art across from castle - Kinsale also could have stayed longer easily; loved Dingell less but better scenery for me on that smaller peninsula with loads to experience, beehive hut s, forts etc thousands of years old...on a bike you need to give yourself time to make stops..
and time for music. That is why go to Dingell. I spent more time south because I had not been there b4. Had been to Cliffs and North - so went to Athelone and home via Dublin and dropped car there in airport b4 plane. Never would have done all in time without car. Buses on Ireland spotty time wise I heard from other travel ers. Barbara