Please sign in to post.

3 days in Ireland

My husband and I are flying in to Dublin mid afternoon on April 20th, our son will join us later that evening. We fly out of Dublin on Sunday evening. We are trying to determine the best places to see on such a short trip. The Cliffs of Moher seem to be number 1 on the list. Our son was interested in seeing the Giants Causeway, Northern Ireland. We would very much appreciate any tips, ideas etc. to help us plan out the best sights in a short visit.

Thanks,

Posted by
1172 posts

I would stick to Dublin with 3 days. There is a lot to do In Dublin and within 30-45 minutes of the city centre.

Posted by
2365 posts

You really have only two full days in Dublin so I would just stay there. There might be tours to the Cliffs but imagine it would be a full day. Same with the Causeway. Don't know if you can get tickets for the Gaol at this late date but it was our favorite place in Dublin. We go every time we are there. Good luck.

Posted by
3122 posts

We had a similar short stay and followed the RS Ireland guidebook recommendation for top priorities in Dublin itself. It all worked out great. Our only disappointment was not getting to attend the traditional music pub performance as it was sold out.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you all for your replies. The consensus does seem to stay in Dublin for the entirety. Do any of you have any particular spots, sights to see in Dublin?

Posted by
1172 posts

Kilmainham Gaol is a must in Dublin. Buy tickets ahead as they sell out.
We also really enjoyed the Book of Kells and long library at Trinity College.

We did St Patricks Cathedral as well as Dublinia which were both great as well.

There are also a ton of great museums depending on your interests.

Posted by
238 posts

The Historical Walking Tour was very interesting and informative--led by Trinity College grad students I think. The Museum of Archaeology was a favorite of ours and Kilmainham Gaol is a must see. If the weather is nice, a stroll through St. Stephen's Green is very pleasant too.

Posted by
9363 posts

The Temple Bar area, though kind of touristy, is an interesting place during the day. It's also a source to hear music in the evening. Since you will be there on a weekend, though, it might be crowded, since it's kind of the party center of the city. You could also visit Merrion Square to see the Georgian houses in that neighborhood, watch the musicians on Grafton St, walk through Trinity College, etc. Just outside of town is Newgrange to the north and Glendalough to the south, and there are lots of half-day tours that go to both places. A trip to the Cliffs would be a very long day - three hours to Galway, then south, touring time, then three hours back.