Please sign in to post.

20-hour Layover in Dublin

Hi! I am traveling solo from Seattle to Venice to meet up with my group for a trip to Italy. I have a 20-hour layover in Dublin and I'm unsure what I should try to do/ how to plan. My flight is in late July and it arrives in Dublin at 11:45am and then I depart for Venice at 7:45am the following day. It's a Wednesday/Thursday. First time in Dublin, and I've had a few trips to Europe before, but never solo. I am packing light and only bringing a backpack and a carry-on luggage. I am hoping for advice on:

-Customs process in Dublin from the US, then for my flight to Venice

-Hotel recommendations (near the airport? In the airport?)

-Any "must-do's" if I only have one afternoon in Dublin

-Tips for a petite woman traveling alone in Dublin

Thanks!

Posted by
6510 posts

There are two hotels on the airport grounds and several more in nearby suburbs, but there's no reason not to spend that night right in the middle of Dublin, as long as you leave enough time to make your evening flight (I suggest three hours). Aircoach bus (aka coach) #700 takes about half an hour from DUB to the city. I stayed at Buswell's Hotel, across the street from one of the bus stops and a short walk from places like St. Stephen's Green and Trinity College, but there are many choices.

You might want to download Rick Steves' two suggested (linked) Dublin walks and take one or both, or you might want to make your own sightseeing plan using a guidebook. Many worthwhile sights are within a mile or so of each other. Some, like Kilmainham Gaol or the Guiness Storehouse, will take longer to reach and might be better skipped on your tight timeframe. But you'll have an afternoon and most of the following day, and the weather should be cooperative.

You'll go through passport control and customs on arrival, and through airport security before departure. It isn't clear whether your backpack will be checked, and I don't know whether it can stay with the airline overnight (I'd guess not, but check with the airline). If that's possible, then pack some overnight things in your carry-on to save time and simplify.

You won't have time to fully appreciate Dublin but you'll have enough time for a good taste. I'm neither female or petite but I doubt if you'll have personal safety issues there. Temple Bar is a rowdy scene that I walked through one afternoon and didn't want to revisit in the evening. There are evening pub crawls (see guidebooks) that can show you this side of life easily and safely if you're interested, though after an overnight flight you might want to retire early.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you!!! I corrected my typo- I leave Dublin at 7:45am the following day, sorry! This is great advice!

Posted by
2956 posts

You might want to download Rick Steves' two suggested (linked) Dublin walks and take one or both.

Download Rick's app on your phone before leaving home. This is the best way to get acquainted with Dublin.

Posted by
6510 posts

OK, 7:45 AM is a different story. You'll want to spend the night at the airport -- Radisson Blu or Maldron. They have shuttles, I think early enough for your purposes. On arrival day you'll have time to go into the city but maybe not the energy to do much. The walk(s) might be the best idea.

Posted by
352 posts

I did basically the same thing that you are doing, except my flight arrived early in the morning and left late in the same evening. I took the walking tour that was included with the Hop On Hop Off bus ticket. Didn't care for the bus (got stuck in traffic and wasted a lot of time), but the walking tour was great. They included a lot of history and covered many sights. I confess that I didn't complete the entire tour because they walked by the Brazen Head Pub and my feet just strayed in. Not my fault.