Please sign in to post.

2 days in Dublin

My friend and I are making a quick stop in Dublin on our way to Spain. I know that two days is not enough time but it's what we've got to work with. What are the must see and must do things with this limited amount of time? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
15582 posts

The things that most stand out in my memory from my visit 4 years ago - the National Archaeology Museum, the Dublin Literary Pub Crawl, and Dublinia (a hands-on history of the Vikings). My one regret is not visiting Kilmainham Gaol.

Posted by
18 posts

Chani thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it. I will look into your suggestions.

Posted by
359 posts

If you are into history...a short day trip tour to Newgrange is fantastic. They are burial mounds older than the pyramids - you can go inside and see the tomb interior and how it looks when light filters in on the solstice .... it is very moving. Well worth a visit if that type of thing grabs you. If not then take the time to go to a neighborhood pub in Dublin ....it's so fun, unique, warm and a wonderful time. Kilmainham Goal is excellent - well worth it. Personally would skip the Guinness tour there in Dublin . It's okay but there are many other better things to see and do.......including that local pub !

Posted by
238 posts

Our highlights were the Archaeology Museum and Killmainham Gaol. Keep in mind that you must book admission to the Gaol ahead of time (the slots fill up pretty fast so definitely sooner rather than later). We enjoyed the Trinity College historical walking tour and the musical pub crawl too. The Book of Kells experience was somewhat underwhelming, as was the Guinness "tour", but in two days (three nights) we were able to accomplish all these things plus a lovely stroll through St. Stephen's Green without feeling too rushed.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you all for your responses. After looking at your suggestions I will definitely be going to see Kilmainham Gaol. This looks amazing.

Posted by
501 posts

I have been to Dublin four times.

For me the must-see things include a visit to the Dublin Writers Museum. It's the best in Europe. (If you're a true literature vulture, there is a separate museum not far away devoted only to James Joyce.)

A close second is to see a play at either the Gate Theater or the Abbey Theater. The acting is better at the Gate, but the Abbey has a culturally significant writing tradition (Synge, Yeats, O'Casey and others). I've seen probably close to 200 plays in my life. A performance I saw at the Gate Theater about 15 years ago rates as the No. 2 in my life.

Though Ireland is not famous for painting, I found the Irish art display in the National Gallery of Ireland to be among the most memorable I have ever seen, rating up there with the Louvre and the Prado.

Next, go to an evensong performance at Christ Church Cathedral.

The literary pub crawl or regular pub crawl get a lot of attendees. I liked the literary pub crawl, though it's nothing compared to a visit to the writers museum or a play.

Eat at Gallagher's Boxty House in the Temple Bar area. Boxty is like an Irish taco, but a potato is used instead of a shell.

Finally have a beer or five at The Brazen Head Pub near the Liffey River. The owners claim it dates to the 12th century, and there is little doubt it's old given the low ceiling. I like the courtyard outside.

Message if you want more recommendations.

And enjoy Spain, too. I made my first visit just a couple years ago. Cheers.

Posted by
81 posts

I was hesitating on the Gaol but I'll have to go to it since everyone is speaking so highly of it.

Posted by
11 posts

Stay at the Central Hotel. It's name says it all. It seems to be a five minute walk to everything and it's a lovely hotel to boot. The Library Bar is worth it alone.

Posted by
138 posts

Another vote for the Gaol! I would also get tickets for the hop on and off bus. It stops at most every attraction. We also had a great time at Jameson's and Guinness! Have a great trip!

Posted by
18 posts

Again thank you all for your replies. I've booked our tickets for the Gaol and I can't wait!