Please sign in to post.

17 Days in Ireland

I'm planning 17 days in Ireland and I think I'm planning to much. Any advise would be appreciated.
Day 1-2 Dublin (to get over jet lag and get the lay of the land)
Day 3 Rent car and drive to Galway (via Clonmacnois) night in Galway
Day 4 Galway to Letterfrack (Ross Errilly Friary and Cong, possiblly boat ride in Leeane) night in Letterfrack
Day 5 Letterfrack to Galway (Kiylemore Abby, Sky Rd. and Clifden) night in Galway
Day 6 Galway to Ennis (Burren, Doolin, Cliffs of Moher) night in Ennis
Day 7 Ennis to Tralee (either via Knappogue Castle/Craggaunowen, Limerick and Adare or Limerick and Lough Gur) night in Tralee
Day 8 Tralee to Dingle ( via Connor Pass) 2 nights in Dingle
Day 9 Dingle (Slea Head)
Day 10 Dingle to Killarney ( Inch Beach and Killarney town) 2 nights in Killarney
Day 11 Killarney (Gap of Dunloe and Molly's Gap)
Day 12 Killarney to Kenmare (Ring of Kerry with Skellig Ring) night in Kenmare
Day 13 Kenmare to Kinsale (via Bantry and Skibbereen) night in Kinsale
Day 14 Kinsale to Dublin ( Cahir and Rock of Cashel) 4 nights in Dublin
Day 15-17 Dublin (day trips to Glendalough and possibly Giant's Causeway)
I will be alone and this is my 1st time driving on the left. I tend to dawdle, so I don't want to be rushed. I like to people watch as much as see the historical sites. I don't care much for big cities and may be spending too much time in Dublin. Even though there is plenty for me to do there and I could do day trips out of the city.
I don't want to kiss the Blarney Stone! I know that I'm spending a long time in the Killarney area, but there are shops along the way that may take time. I thought I was set, but the more I think about it the less secure I feel. Please help.
Julie

Posted by
174 posts

A few too many one night stays for my taste. Can you possibly fly into Shannon and out of Dublin, or vice-versa? That would really help free up some time.

Here is our 14 day itinerary from 2014. Worked out really well.

Arrive Dublin (2 nights)
Glendalough and Avoca (1 night)
Kilkenny (1 night)
Cahir, ROC to Kinsale (2 nights)
Wild Atlantic Way to Killarney (2 nights)
Dingle (2 nights)
Cliffs of Moher and Kinvara (1 night)
Connemara to Galway (2 nights) (Inishmore second day)
Bunratty (1 night) for castle and flight home from Shannon

With 17 days you could add a day to Dublin and to Galway, at least, and not feel so rushed. Good luck.

Posted by
317 posts

Greetings from Ireland, I think your itinerary is fine and will work well. Im sure your flights are already booked and cant be changed without a fee, so stick with them, most other travellers to Ireland come into and out-of the same airport (namely Dublin).

I wouldn't have advised Letterfrack, but you know what - its authentic Ireland and I'm sure you'll have fun there, a few years ago I drove the US west-coast from Seattle-San Francisco, none of my advisers recommended a night in Eureka, CA, and by chance it turned out to be one of my best ever travel memories!

You should definitely visit the Giants Causeway, but I wouldnt wish a day-trip from Dublin to it on my worst enemy, longgg. Consider a night in Belfast.

Let me know if you have any questions, I travel your itinerary every two weeks guiding Rick Steves Tours so am in a position to advise on most of it with some expertise!
Le meas/with respect
Stephen McPhilemy
Rick Steves Ireland Tour-Guide
Dingle & Derry

Posted by
3 posts

Yes, my flight plans are already arranged, in and out of Dublin.

Thank you so much for the advice. I was worried about trying to do too much. I you feel like it's possible, then I will leave it alone.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you both for your replies. I feel more comfortable know that the plans are doable.