Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Ireland

My husband and I along with my brother and his significant other are going to Ireland for Christmas. We will be staying in Derry for most of the stay with my husbands family but will be traveling back to Dublin for a few days after Christmas for some exploring before heading home. I am looking for any recommendations around Dublin for that time of year or any stops we should make on our way from the North to the South (will be driving down the east coast).

Posted by
1014 posts

We spent New Years and and the next week in Dublin this year. It was cold, rainy and the sun set really early . Other than that, we had a great time. Penny's had some good sales and did some other retailers. We did Museums, Trinity College Library, Guinness Storehouse, and any other building that we could get to so we could be inside. There were fewer tourists around, so we did not have to stand in line. All in all, we had a great time.

Posted by
124 posts

I'm doing the same this year spending Christmas in Ireland visiting my boyfriend and his family. As I've been chatting with him and figuring out where we are staying, he informed me that many hotels and tourist attractions close for the week of Christmas so you may want to double check their websites for holiday hours. Another thing he keeps going on about is how December usually brings really bad storms, winds and flooding in some areas of Ireland. So take your time on the roads, there won't be much daylight at that time of year.