Please sign in to post.

14 Day Ireland Tentative Itinerary Sept 2024- is it doable??

6 adults - my husband is renting a 9-passenger van to accommodate 6 people & 6 pieces of luggage - all other vans (6/7 passenger) only accommodate 2-3 pieces of luggage!!! We have airline & accommodation reservations \Accommodations can be modified but not airline
Day 1 Sept 9th Arr Shannon drive to Westport Co Mayo
Stop Foxford Woolen Mills Westport Mayo Check-In
Overnight Castlecourt Hotel -1 night
Day 2 Sep 10th Westport > Cong >Clifden
Croagh Patrick. Killala. Lacken Strand. /Croaght Patrick/Cong
Doolough Valley via Louisburg to Leenane Galway. Check-in Clifden
Overnight…Cregg House B&B Clifden -1 night
Day 3 & 4 Sep 11th & 12th Clifden to Co Clare
Day 3 Sep 11th
Kylemore Abbey. Connemara National Park. Killary Harbour and Leenane
Burren. Doolin
Day 4 Sep 12th
Doolin Ferry. Boat tour to Inismor return stay on for under the cliffs
Burren National Park
Overnight Armada Hotel Spanish Point Clare (2 nights)
Days 5,6,7 & 8 Sep 13th, 14, 15, 16,
Day 5 Sep 13th Co Clare - via Ardfert/Tralee Killarney
Stop 2: Adare
Stop 3: Adare Castle
Stop 4: Tralee (Ardfert - St Brendan’s - grandparents area/church)
Stop 4: Arrive in Killarney 

Check-in Old Weir Lodge (4 nights)
Day 6 Sep 14th
Option 1: Jaunty traditional jaunting cars (i.e. the horse and cart).
On this 1-hour guided jaunty tour,  :
See Ireland’s highest Mountain Range – the MacGillycuddys
Trot past the 15th-century Ross Castle
See the impressive St Mary’s Cathedral
Learn about Killarney from a traditional Jarvey guide
Option 2: The Lakes of Killarney boat Cruise
Killarney Lakes tour  this 1-hour (and very reasonable) boat tour 
Day 7 Sep 15th
The Ring of Kerry All-Day Private Tour
Private Tour Ring of Kerry & Valentia Island (up to 7 people)

Day 8 & 9 Sep 16th
The Dingle Peninsula & environs maybe Valentia??
Note:  Attractions along the Dingle Peninsula Loop – pick & choose.
Inch Beach
Minard Castle and Beach
Conor Pass
Dingle Town
Ventry Beach
Radharc na mBlascaoidí (Blaskets View))viewpoint
Coumeenoole Beach
Dun Chaoin Pier
The Blasket Centre
Ceann Sraithe (Star Wars filming location)
Clogher Strand
Valentia by way of Portmagee
Day 9 & 10: Sep 17th & 18th Blarney, Cork City, Kinsale, Cobh
Day 9 Sep 17th
Visit Blarney Castle area
Continue to Cork City
Stroll St. Patrick’s Street (shops/buildings dating back to 1786
Shandon Bell Tower (Cork City)
The Butter Museum 
The English Market
Elizabeth Fort
Check in Kinsale Actons Hotel 2 nights
Day 10 Sep 18th
Kinsale & Cobh
Kinsale walking tour
Lunch at The Bulman
The Lusitania Museum & Old Head Signal Tower  €5 
Lusitania Monument 
Charles Fort 
Cobh
Titanic Experience €11 2Hours
Overnight Kinsale Acton Hotel (2)

Day 11: Sep 19th Kinsale, via Dungarvan, Waterford to Kilkenny
Waterford stroll around the streets of this historic city with a local guide
House of Waterford Crystal
Drive to Kilkenny
Guided walking tour of Kilkenny,
Kilkenny Castle
Wander Medieval Mile (stop for food here too)
Rothe House
Smithwick’s Experience
St. Canice’s Cathedral
Overnight Hoban Hotel Kilkenny - 1 night
Kyteleter’s Inn Kilkenny - St Kieran's St, Gardens, Kilkenny, 

Dunmore East Waterford is one of the prettiest towns in the country with its colorful, thatched houses and beach so close to the center. (If we can work it in ????

Day 12,13 & 14: Sep 20, 21, 22 Wicklow’s to Dublin
Day 12 Sep 20 Wicklow to Dubin
Overnight Dublin Radisson Blue Royal Hotel 3 nights
The Sally Gap Drive (multiple stops)
Glendalough Visitor Centre and Monastic City
Glendalough Upper Lake
Powerscourt House and Gardens
Return Car - Rubin City
Day 13 & 14 Sep 21 & 22 Dublin
Book of Kells. National Museum. Kilmainham Gaol. St Stephens Geen
Musical Dinner Show
Temple Bar O'Connell St. Grafton St

Posted by
60 posts

I am sorry, but I honestly think you are trying to pack in way too many places. You may see Ireland, but I'm not sure you will experience the wonderful areas of Ireland. Some of your days are impossibly long. What are your priorities for sightseeing?

Where are you flying in from? Is your husband used to driving on the left side of the road?

My group of four adults spent 21 days road tripping in Ireland in August. We had a mid size SUV and we felt like the car was a road hog. Many roads are narrower. Just be prepared. Also be prepared for any type of weather, especially rain. In the 21 days we road tripped, we saw less than you are trying to see in 14 days.

Posted by
1878 posts

Way, way too much... You are trying to push a 4 week itinerary into two weeks... It is looking more like a tick list than a holiday. You need to Slow down and actually have time to enjoy Ireland.

Don’t underestimate the time needed to drive in Ireland. Distances may not look that far on a map but will take a lot longer to cover than you might expect. Driving can be quite slow.... Also have you thought about adding in time for stops - lunch and comfort breaks? It’s surprising how much time these can take. Also allow plenty of time for visiting the different places. You need to allow time to find somewhere to park and then get from car to the attraction and then back again. This can easily add 30 minutes per visit.

Why Westport for the first night? You are doubling back on yourself the next day. Why not head to Clifden for two nights instead. One nighters are hard work .

Depending on your expectations, you are trying to cram a lot of sightseeing into Day 2 - or are you intending to admire from the car as you pass?

Day 8 is laughable - you need to seriously pick and choose here... where did you get this list from?

Day 10 - impossible...

Day 11 Not quite sure how you are going to fit in a stroll around Watwerford with a local guide, and a guided tour of Kilkenny in a single day plus everything else on your list...

Posted by
1 posts

Is it doable? Yes. Distances are not great, and it looks like you've no more than a couple hours driving most days.
But I would join others in suggesting that you slow down a bit, or at least look at your itinerary as possibilities, with many things that might be dropped on the way. The first time you visit many countries, there are "must see" sights--for example, if you go to France, almost everyone flies to Paris, and there you "must see" the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, etc., and outside Paris (at least if you're an American) the D-Day beaches. Ireland, though, has very few "must see" sights. Our daughter spent a year the University of Dublin, and when we visited we enjoyed seeing the gorgeous Book of Kells. But is it really a "must see?" For me, no. In fact, unless you're a fan who has to see certain movie venues (Game of Thrones, The Princess Bride, The Quiet Man, Marley & Me, etc.) I think there is very little "must see" in Ireland.

Rather, it is a country best savored slowly; it is a country of enormous natural beauty (yet with relatively few locations that just rise above all other parts of the island, as, for example, visiting the Grand Canyon on a trip to the southwestern U.S.). It has very friendly people, great music, dance, and culture. So, for example, you've got a day spending some morning time in Westport, then driving through Cong and on to Clifden. That will be a very pretty drive with some quick stops along the way. By contrast, the last time we were in ireland we spent 3 days and two nights just in Cong. I love the Dingle Peninsula--incredibly beautiful. But it's all so pretty I'm not sure there is any place that you have to stop. You could easily spend 4 days there. (One thing we do in Ireland, especially good in Dingle, is ask your innkeeper (or at the local pub) for a place where there is likely to be good music--not a tourist place, but a local pub--you'll have some great evenings).

So it sounds like this is your first trip to Ireland, and you're the kind who like to see lots of things--you want to cover it all, rather than spend more time in one place and hope you'll come back again to see the rest. That's fine. Just be flexible enough to drop things as you go along. If you come across a beach in Dingle that wasn't on your itinerary, and walking the beach for an hour just seems perfect, do that, and cut out something on your list.

A couple particular thoughts that might be helpful:
If you do cut, don't cut your planned day traveling the Ring of Kerry.
A really fun day in Killarney is to hire a boat to take you across the lake, then a jaunty cart through the Gap of Dunloe. Start jaunty at Lord Brandon's). At the top of the Gap, you can walk down through beautiful country, stretch the legs a bit, all downhill, and any time you get tired, it is pretty easy to flag down a jaunty cart to take you the rest of the way to Kate Kearney's, and you can catch a bus back (this can all be a pre-arranged tour, too.) Most tours suggest you do it in the opposite direction (starting at Kate's), but this is better. Lake is nicest in the morning, the jaunty takes you up the steepest part of the road, and you have an easy walk down with prettier views.
Blarney Castle- Whether this is worth it depends on what you like to do. The grounds are pretty, nice place to picnic; castle is mildly interesting. But I wouldn't go there unless you want to kiss the Blarney Stone. Do you? It's kitschy, touristy, you have to stand in line for a bit. But hey, you're tourists, it's the Blarney Stone. We did it, had great fun.
A fun thing if you're interested in this sort of thing, is around Doolin and in Connemara area you can find shepards who will give you "tours" (about 1 hr) showing how they work the dogs.
If looking to cut something, Waterford is not a particularly interesting city unless you really want to tour the factory.

You'll have a great time whatever you do. But do allow time just to dawdle, is my advice.

Posted by
25 posts

Hi Marian from Howth Ireland (just outside of Dublin). We have been here for almost 3 years (from Seattle) and have done many things on your list. However, it took us almost 2+ years to get them all in. The advice that the others have given is spot on, as it made me tired just reading your itinerary! :) Everything will take longer than you think, and you don't want to be so scheduled that you are forcing everyone to hurry to make it to the next site.

Two other things to really consider: I also agree with the question on Westport. We love Westport, but only to do the Greenway Bike Ride from Achill Island (ebikes!) I wouldn't double back just to go there for a night. Also agree on Waterford, another place we enjoy as we do the bike ride on the Greenway from Waterford to Dungarven. But, similar to Westport, I wouldn't go out of my way to stop at either one.

Feel free to private message me if you have any specific questions.

Jenine