Please sign in to post.

Car rental

We are going to fly into Shannon and fly out of Dublin, and want to rent a car. I purchased Rick Steve's book but there are no car rentals mentioned in it. Any recommendations or advice for renting a car?

Posted by
9363 posts

You should start car shopping now, and reserve something before you go. You could reserve now, and keep watching for better deals until your trip comes up. I have done this several times. Most car rentals don't charge to cancel a reservation, but check to be sure. I would also suggest that unless you are very comfortable driving a stick shift, you should rent an automatic, even though it costs more. Driving on the other side of the road can be challenging enough without adding shifting with your other hand to the mix. One thing that is different from renting here is that every driver costs extra. If you are both going to drive, you have to pay for both. In Ireland, I have usually rented from Irish Car Rentals.

Posted by
253 posts

Good advice from Nancy. I usually rent from Hertz or Budget in Ireland. Be careful re the collision damage waiver deductibles. Tricky in Ireland as CC companies won't cover. Try Travel Guard or the AMEX $25 coverage. I also get the worst looking car in the lot and have it noted by the agency. You get a lot of scratches and nicks at a minimum driving in Ireland and you don't want to have to deal with paying for that. Last time the car was so beat up that the agent circled the whole car as damaged before I left the lot. Who cares what it looks like as long it runs good? Also try to get one with a spare tire. A lot of cars don't have them now in Ireland and I had 2 flats(rough roads) that were a big hassle without a spare tire. I love driving in Ireland but it can be a challenge and you need to do your homework before getting there.

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick's car rental suggestions for Ireland are the usual suspects, such as Auto Europe, plus [Dan Dooley](www.dan-dooley.ie); see pages 512-3.

Posted by
2261 posts

I paid the CDW down to zero when I rented, it cost about $120 extra on our four day rental. Someone hit us in Tralee and didn't stop, and I saved that $1350.00 deductible. Ireland is hard on cars, if you can be certain that your CC or other insurance will cover you, that's fine, but just be sure.
And yes, as Nancy said, get an automatic! Driving on the left, sitting on the right, and enjoying all that scenery ;-)) you'll have plenty to do.

Posted by
3 posts

Was wondering, I will be renting a car and would like to know if I would be able to use a car charger for my phone? Is it the same as in the states?

Posted by
47 posts

Thanks, great advice. You have me a liitle nervous about driving in Ireland, flat tires, bankded up cars, hit and run drivers...yikes1 When we went to Normandy we rented a car and our CC provided coverage. Should I not assume that because it was coved in France that it will be covered in Ireland?

Posted by
9363 posts

Yes, the power is the same in Irish vehicles. Your home car charger will work just fine.
And no, CC insurance WILL NOT cover you in Ireland. There might be one card out there that does, but I wouldn't trust it anyway. I was covered (I checked repeatedly before my trip), but they found a way to refuse the claim when I had a small accident. And because you must turn down all other insurance to use credit card insurance, you leave yourself completely vulnerable if something should happen and they refuse the claim.

Posted by
47 posts

Good to know - we will spend the extra money if for no other reason than piece of mind!

Posted by
253 posts

Denise,
I have done that route many times and it is spectacular. The CDW from the rental agency can cost as much as the rental itself. It is a big source of income for them so go prepared as they will try to sell it to you. Look into Travel Guard. I used them last time for $9 a day coverage which was about a third of the rental company cost. AMEX also has a $25 full trip coverage that may apply in Ireland. Get specific though as they all treat Ireland differently due to the frequency of claims there and the fact that the CC companies won't provide coverage there. There are tons of discussions and information online about CDW coverage in Ireland. Do some research or you will pay a fortune. I have seen major arguments at the rental desk in Shannon and Dublin when people realize they are not covered by their CC and have to pay $30+ a day to the agency for coverage. Like I said previously the more dinged up the better and make them note EVERY mark before you leave as they will at the drop off location. Ireland is my favorite country in Europe, and the most fun to drive in, but the insurance problem is something to deal with before you go.

Posted by
2261 posts

I have no doubt that Travel Guard would uphold their end of the deal if you had an accident, etc, however the practical aspects of turning in a damaged car and how the rental company deals with that are another matter. Is there a chance the rental company would put a hold on otherwise needed credit card funds? It's a hassle that will still be going long after you return home.
As I said above, I paid an extra $30 per day, someone caused moderate damage to the car and left the scene, I turned the car in two days later at Cork Airport and they said thank you very much, NO $1350.00 deductible charge to my card! A couple of questions answered and we were on our way. I did not even report it when it happened due to cell phone hassles. It seems to me that a rental company will have a different response if you refuse their insurance and insist on after market coverage. Peace of mind is a beautiful thing.
Edit: We rented from Budget, at Dublin city office on Drumcondra, dropped off at Cork Airport.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi,
It has been 6 years since I rented a car in Ireland. I did it almost yearly for a while. The link provided by the first person is for the major car rental companies.

Here is what I did:

1. Get a good cancelable rate from a major. Cancelable at the last moment. They were available, maybe because of me they aren't any more.

2. When you arrive in the airport go to the Dan Leary, or Patrick Riley or Treaty Car rental booths. There will be names you have never heard of. Seems they were seated behind desks side by side. And they went from most expensive to least expensive. Like Avis at one end and Treaty at the other. The low budget never-heard-of-these-people rent nice new cars ( remember this was as of 2008) at amazingly low prices. I had two bidding against each other. They were in neighboring booths. Once I got such a new car I smelled the paint burning off the muffler and engine.

3. Sign and Cancel.

Now being raised a severely toilet trained Lutheran this seems unseemly. But I trained as an economist, and this economics.

wayne iNWI