Please sign in to post.

Rock of Cashel

Wondering if any seniors have gone to the Rock of Cashel recently. My sister and I are going and she is concerned that it might be too much for her knees. Do they have multiple ways up?

Posted by
64 posts

My husband and I were there last summer. We are in our 60s. I don't recall the Rock of Cashel as being a particularly difficult climb - definitely at the top of a hill but sort of gradual as I remember it and not too steep. There were several in our group in their 80s, some who used canes, and all made it up. Other places in Ireland were much more of a climb - dun Aenghus, for one, and even the Cliffs of Moher, which had a ton of steps. All very worth it though!

Posted by
9363 posts

If I remember correctly, there is some handicapped parking up near the gate. But it is not a hard climb in any case. Kind of like a steep driveway, but gradual.

Posted by
237 posts

The approaching street is a long gradual slope upwards and there are benches along the way. The biggest problem is much more likely to be crowds and lines. We stayed in the BnB just down the hill so we walked up the minute it opened and a few hours later when we left the bottom of the lane was a tangle of hire cars and tour buses.

If you're really worried you can scope things like this out on Google Street View for much of Europe. Hopefully this link will work to take you right there but if not you should be able to do it yourself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.51956,-7.889908,3a,75y,285.17h,69.88t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s7dez13rWAh1vGLpzUGzyuw!2e0!3e5

Go early - have a great time!
=Tod