Please sign in to post.

Electrical Adapter

Hi, I have 2 "British" type electrical adapters. Both have the male grounding prong. Neither has a Female ground connection for my 3-prong US style plugs. Can I get one at a Tesco or such store in Ireland or should I check out Radio Shack?
(Unfortunately I have a laptop that wont charge unless it is plugged into a 3-prong grounded outlet.)
JIM

Posted by
1189 posts

Hi,
One of the things I learned in Croatia is don't go looking for an adapter in its native land. They have adaptors for Croatians going to the US but it is hard to find the reverse once there. (I did, but it was 89 KR.) All their appliances are set to go. Buy what you need before you leave home.

Are you sure the UK adaptor won't fit the Ireland outlet? And make sure you have a convertor not just an adapter. Rick here sells adapters for a pretty hefty price, and at the bottom of his descriptors, he says, NOT a CONVERTOR. Well thanks a lot say I. Just what I want is an adapter so I can plug in and burn out.

wayne iNWI

Posted by
5311 posts

The above may well be true in other countries, but adaptors are fairly easy to find in shops in Ireland, although getting them in advance is a good idea as who wants to spend any time buying them.

Note that to properly meet electrical safety standards, Ireland/UK adaptors must incorporate a fuse, have a fully functioning earth connection, and sheathed live / neutral connection. Many adaptors sold outside fail on one or more of these.

Posted by
712 posts

I bought adaptor at Radio Shack. Was about $10.00.
It was a lot different the the old one from years ago.