Please sign in to post.

itinerary help please!!

oh boy, overwhelmed. We will be in Ireland with 5-6 days to spend between Galway and Kilarnney. We have a set plan for a few days each before and after these locations. There seems to be so much to do between these towns don't know where to start. We will be in Galway first and then driving to Kilarnney. Looking for itinerary help and list of "must see's". Hoping for a day or half day of bike riding. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted by
104 posts

The joy of Galway is its street scene. You can see its sights in three hours, but without an evening in town, you’ve missed the best. Many spend three nights and two days: one for the town and another for a side-trip to the Burren, the Aran Islands, or the Connemara region Tour companies make day trips to all three regions cheap and easy. When you head down towards Killarney you could spend a night in Kenmare to be ready to do the full day drive of the Ring of Kerry, ending in Killarney. Should you need further itinerary help consider a personal consult with one of our travel experts. Happy Travels...

Posted by
2261 posts

Lauri, while we did not see Galway we did a similar route last year. Do you already have accommodation or a commitment in Killarney? If not, I'd suggest you consider splitting up your time with, for example, 2 nights Galway and 3 nights in Dingle. From Galway there are great side trips-The Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, and of course there is Galway. From Dingle you can day trip to Killarney, see the National Park, Muckross House and Gardens (I recommend the carriage ride) and poke along the coast on the way back to Dingle. Take a day for the Slea Head Drive out of Dingle towards Ballyferriter, see the Gallarus Oratory, Kilmalkedar Church, return to Dingle via the Conor Pass if you didn't go over it on your way in to town. The Ring of Kerry gets very crowded, so be sure you are ready for a long day in the saddle if you see it. For us, the Slea Head was spectacular, with pristine beaches and coastal views, the Beehive huts, lots to see. You can easily get someone for a personalized guided drive tour of Slea Head from the very good T.I. in Dingle.
If you are already committed in Killarney you could day trip to Dingle, though I'd prefer more of Dingle than Killarney.