Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Companies?

I tentatively have a manual car rented; my husband and I both know how to drive manual cars but I keep reading automatics might be better. Is this true? The company I've rented with want $540 more for an automatic. We have never drive in Ireland before and are wondering about others experiences. Also, what car company do you recommend?

Thanks!

Posted by
2261 posts

Monarch, how long are you renting for? Do I understand correctly that they want an additional $540, on top of the base rental price? Unless you are talking about renting for a month or two that extra is way out of line. I rented for five days last year I think the extra for automatic was $80 or so. Cancel with them when you find something better.
We used Budget in Dublin (not at the airport) and were very happy. Take the insurance with Super CDW. Having an automatic will free up your brain a bit to focus on other things, like scenery. And driving on the left and getting accustomed to roundabouts, etc. Slow and steady wins in Ireland-it's a wonderful country, have a great trip.

Posted by
61 posts

I'd agree to find another rental company. Automatics are more expensive, but that is pretty outrageous. I've driven both stick and automatic in Ireland, and I would go with the automatic. You'll be having enough fun driving on the wrong side of the road and your driving habits will make you want to use the right hand to shift.

Depending on how soon you go, you may also want to check and make sure it has a/c. Not all do. And with the UK going through a heat-wave right now, that might be something that would make more sense to spend extra money on.

On the good side - the shift pattern is the same as in other cars, its just getting used to using the left hand to do it with. clutch is still the leftmost pedal.

Oh, roundabouts have 2 lanes - the furthest left is for the first couple of exits, the middle or right lane is for the ones after that. This becomes interesting when you don't know exactly which exit you need to take at the junction. Found that out the hard way. :) BTW - do you know that UK and Irish drivers will give ya two "thumbs up" with the index and middle finger to let you know that they appreciate drivers learning on their motorways?

Glenn in Tucson

Posted by
7280 posts

Just wondering if the prices quoted for manual and automatic transmissions were both using the same car class/size? If you were going for the smallest, cheapest cars (which we do, as it's just 2 of us plus 2 suitcases), some companies don't offer automatics on those, so perhaps they were quoting that large increase both for the automatic and for a larger car.

Glenn - lol - we're going to Scotland next month and I read that British drivers are perhaps the most patient and courteous in the world, but a 2-finger salute might not be a sign of appreciation :-) Back in the 70's, a coworker of my Dad's came in furious one morning here in Colorado, because he'd "been flipped the DOUBLE BIRD on the way to work!" Here, someone was just flashing him the "peace" sign :-)

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep checking - we will be renting for 9 days in September. I received a price from AutoEurope with zero deductible CDW for smallest manual car of $361 but they wanted $872 for an automatic - it was the next size up, said they couldn't get the same size car; however, when I go to their website, I get a price of $688 - that's still seems like a lot extra for an automatic. I did call Budget and their price for the smallest was $661 with CDW but they wouldn't give me a price for Super CDW. He said that would have to be decided when we picked up the car.

I'll just keep trying to find more and more car rental companies.

Posted by
40 posts

monarch: I'm going to tell you the realities - if you have NEVER driven in Ireland before you do NEED to secure an automatic not only for yourself but OTHERS on the road. You will have enough to do driving an automatic in Ireland - looking where your going- for road signs (and scenery) staying on the correct side of the road, dealing with on coming vehicles on smaller roads - turning around (this will happen loads) as well with vehicles overtaking you. When it comes to the roundabouts - which are many in Ireland there is ETIQUETTE on driving the roundabouts - ie: which lane to be in on the roundabout determined by which "exit" you need to take - while trying to deal with other cars & especially Lorries AND ... Yup ... Road SIGNS. Now having to deal with ALL that and any other sudden situation that may come up and a clutch on the left side can be too much - as you will tend to look down at the stick to shift and it only takes a second - BAM!

I have SEEN mva's in Ireland involving American tourists and have read stories of others in the papers while visiting there. I have family in Galway & Clare and am about to take my 9th trip soon to take my Mam home for a visit (she was raised in both counties). I'm not trying to scare you - driving in Ireland can be fun with the right vehicle.

Another thing to keep in mind is depending on your trip - if you plan on keeping your luggage in the vehicle as you sightsee during the day between stops you will need to make sure that no luggage or bags (purchases) can be seen in the car, therefore, you will need a vehicle with a small trunk or one that if a hatchback has a concealer - it doesn't matter if your in the city or out in the country - lets say at the Dolman in Clare - you have that element. As this little old Irish gent told me at the Dolman - "They will steal the eye out of your head".

Now you've spent all this money to travel to Ireland don't go too cheap with the rental. Be safe. You want to enjoy your trip.

Check out this site which does have vehicles that have inclusive (includes the CDW). Rentalcars.com
There have VERY reasonable INCLUSIVE automatics on the economy chart.

Bottom line - if you have to pay a little bit more for safety - pay it. Like I said at the beginning - realities

Be safe and have fun.

Posted by
135 posts

Hello

I live in London, but drive my own car over to Ireland every year. However for shorter visits I often hire cars from Irish firms - two worth googling are Nova Car Hire , and Dan Dooley. I've used Nova also to hire cars when I travel to Spain - I started with an automatic in Spain, but it became clear that I didn't really need one after a trip or two . Whether you go for an auto or not really depends on your confidence level - if you are a confident driver then you'll be ok with a manual (stick shift); however if tired or less confident, book an auto.

Enjoy the visit!

Posted by
6 posts

Claregirl, you make some very good points and Mark, thank you for the information. I went ahead and changed to an automatic - my husband didn't want to but I feel much better, especially the first time we drive in Ireland.

Thank you all for your input - it is very much appreciated.

Posted by
6 posts

About rental car-- I'm arriving at DUB and plan to immediately drive north, like to Drogheda. Can I get a better rental bargain off the airport, and how much trouble would it be? That is, how would I get to the off-airport rental location?
JIM

Posted by
40 posts

They may be more expensive since you would not be pre-booking and your vehicle choices maybe slim; so you will end up paying more. Plus much easier to pick up the car at the airport and go. The longer you wait to book the more expensive.

Posted by
16 posts

My husband and I were in Ireland for the first time in April and rented an automatic car for 12 days through Dan Dooley ($875). My husband wanted to get a manual since he drives one currently, but I insisted that we get an automatic even though it was more expensive. My husband ended up thanking me... he did most of the driving and the roads are quite tiny in places! He said he couldn't imagine trying to change gears, drive on the opposite side of the car and on the opposite side of the road on some of those tiny winding roads. Have a great trip!

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks Brandi, That really makes me feel better about my decision to get the automatic. One of our cars is a manual so I'm also use to driving one, but wasn't sure I'd want to try it on the left side of the road as I'm the one that will be driving since I don't read maps very well so going to let my husband read the map and direct. Hope it works out for us!

Posted by
931 posts

Get the automatic! My wife and I both drive manuals, but a stick shift was a major problem when we drove in Ireland Get the smallest car you can find with a trunk. Dan Dooley is a great rental agency.

Most Super CDW insurance is garbage: most do not cover tires, wheels, undercarriage, windshields, etc.. A friend wrecked his rental on the very first roundabout in Ireland and found that his super CDW did not cover re-scheduling a new car, etc. Use a credit card that will cover all of the "excess" (my new VISA thru my credit union does. Many AMX cards will) Or get a supplemental rental policy thru a UK insurance agency. I got a supplemental insurance policy for $35 (from a company called Questor) thru a UK broker, and it even paid for the time when I put the wrong fuel in my rental.

The most important advice I can give you is to add plenty of time to your travels for your daily trips. Do not try to take in too many sights in one day. If you have never driven on the "wrong side of the road" the worst problem you will have is that you will drive down the road with your passenger tire in the ditch, until you finally figure out to move towards the center of the road. (and let me tell you; your passenger will tell you about this bad habit!) Utilize any chance you have to drive the freeways over those dang narrow roads.