Please sign in to post.

Public Transport in Dublin

On our upcoming trip we have 3 nights and 2 full days in Dublin and I have been researching to try to find the best and most cost-effective options for getting around Dublin.

We arrive at Dublin Port by ferry from Wales at 5.25pm and have accommodation booked north of the river - it is about 1.2km north of Trinity College. I think our best option is to catch a taxi to our accommodation. Most of our sightseeing plans are close to the city centre and we are confident of walking between many of them or hopping on a local bus. The exception is Kilmainham Gaol. I am thinking of catching the LUAS from Abbey Street to Suir Road for this. The final piece to the puzzle is leaving Dublin - we are picking up a car at 8am at Dublin Airport so plan to catch the Airlink bus which passes outside our accommodation to the airport.

The fare for the LUAS return trip is 3.80 EUR and the Airlink bus 6.00 EUR plus incidental bus fares could make the costs up to about 15.00 EUR maximum which seems pretty reasonable to me.

I have considered the HOHO bus and/or Freedom Card but am having trouble seeing the value for what we plan to do.

Does this sound reasonable or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

Posted by
5326 posts

You can get to Kilmainham as well by bus as Luas - the same route passes by Guinness so this is a common combination.

There was a three day bus only ticket for €15 which would have been ideal for your situation, but this was abolished in April.

Posted by
20 posts

Hi,

I think there is a bus from the port - but to be honest you are better off with a taxi in this instance. It should be reasonably priced.

The Freedom Ticket is a great ticket and most visitors to Dublin would use it. It includes the Hop-on Hop-off tour, Airlink bus, and public buses. I think the Freedom Ticket is €30 and that gives you unlimited travel on those 3 buses for the 3 days. I also think you can get a free walking tour from Pat Liddy and Free entry into the Little Museum of Dublin through it. Much better than looking for coins for every bus you use in any case.

For Kilmainham, the bus is 79 (http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/79a/) , but with the Freedom TIcket you can get here either on the 79 or the HoHo tour bus.

Hope that helps.
Sean