Please sign in to post.

Itinerary check

This is my first trip to Ireland and I'm taking my 20-year-old daughter. I would love some comments/assistance with this itinerary. I already have gleaned some good info from this forum in making my plans. We arrive July 22, 2014.

Day 1-2: Arrive Shannon Airport - drive to Doolin and stay 2 nights (explore Cliffs of Mohr, Aran Islands, the Burren, etc.)
Day 3: Drive to Galway and stay one night - mostly for my daughter who will probably like the city-scene and shopping (I realize there is an arts festival so it will be crowded)
Day 4: Drive to Clifden and stay one night - explore Connemara, Kylemore Abbey, do some hiking hopefully, etc.
Day 5: Drive to Westport and stay one night (trying to avoid a lot of backtracking hence the one-night stays in Connemara) - take the bike ride to Achills Island (weather permitting)
Days 6-8: Drive the long drive down to Dingle Peninsula and stay 3 nights (exploring whole area)
Day 9: Drive to Dromoland Castle for a last splurge
Day 10: Fly home out of Shannon

Also: I am not all that interested in visiting Dublin and primarily want to visit the west of Ireland. I dropped Kinsale out of the itinerary even though it sounds lovely. Any help/comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Posted by
7347 posts

We were on bikes the whole time (using the occasional ferry or bus to transport us and the bikes) in 2011, so with a car, you'll be able to cover more ground and get to more places in Western Ireland than we did. We were on Inishmore in the Aran Islands for part of 2 days and for one night; we would've liked more time there, and hope to return. Spending at least a night on Inishmore is highly recommended!

The next day, our ferry was supposed to take us directly from Inishmore to Doolin, but the boat made an unexpected stopover on Inisheer for 2 1/2 hours. That's OK, we needed to have lunch somewhere anyway, and it was a chance to ride around a little on an island we hadn't planned to see, but it did get us to Doolin later than expected, and in a heavy June downpour! The rain stopped after about 25 minutes -- after we'd gotten kind-of wet. Take a good jacket with you for your bike ride!

Posted by
16893 posts

It seems fast but logical. You might give one of the Dingle nights to an earlier stop, if you're worried about fitting it all in. I love theater and the Galway Arts Festival was a highlight of my first trip to Ireland, with lots of street performances as well as indoor venues; I could do that for days.

Posted by
1994 posts

Alison, I'm not sure your Day 1-2 plan is doable. That is really only going to allow you one full day, plus the jet-lagged remainder of your arrival day. The Aran islands really require a full day, at least. The Burren is also a wonderful area and I think warrants at least half a day... a unique and beautiful landscape, wonderful wildflowers when I was there, some sad but beautiful ruined churches, and I really enjoyed the visit to the Burren Perfumery.

Also, although RS discounts it, the Ring of Kerry is a very beautiful area. It's quite different from the Dingle Peninsula, and I prefer it. Much more lush and forested.

Posted by
286 posts

I like your itinerary as you could do the cliffs of Mohr the first day depending on when you get in - but they are so close to Doolin it makes sense. With the Aran Islands the next day, weather permitting, you can explore the Burren after the boat ride, or on the drive the next day to Galway. Include the Perfumery as the setting is very relaxing and the garden provides some humor.

In Clifden, make time to drive the Sky Road for outstanding scenery, views and lots of picture taking. I think sunset would be ideal - allow an hour. On the drive to or from Westport, try to include the drive through the fiord as again, it should take your breath away. The west side of Ireland is so outstanding, you'll love it with this itinerary!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I will mull them over and make some adjustments. I'm so thrilled about this Ireland adventure that I know one trip there won't be enough!

Posted by
40 posts

I agree with Gail on day 1 & 2. I usually sleep on the overnight flights, so that when I arrive in the morning can hit the ground running. Funny thing is when we fly into Shannon we travel to Galway VIA - we head out towards the The Cliffs via Enisytmon, Spanish Point, Miltown-Malbay, Lahinch, The Cliffs & then Doolin, to Fanore (blue flagged beach), Ballyvaughn onto Galway... and if your staying 2 nights in Doolin - you have plenty of time even to see the Dolman - the ferry for the Aran Islands is out from the Quay. The repairs have been completed from the terrible winter storms that hit the West Coast of Ireland this past winter. (Ie: our US Northeasters collected strength over the Northern Atlantic & hit Ireland hard