Please sign in to post.

First time to Ireland, Need help planning for a 5 day trip.

All,

This is my first time on Rick Steven's Forums. My wife and I are going to Ireland for our 5th wedding anniversary and really looking forward to this (leaving the kids at home)! We are flying from NYC to Shannon arriving June 8th at 10:30 AM Sunday morning and flying out from Dublin to NYC 10:30 Friday morning. Based on my research so far we would like to stay in a castle hotel for a night or two (Ashford or Dromoland or the like). Our plan is to stay on the west coast for Sun-Wed and drive/bus/train to Dublin for Wednesday night and have Thursday night until we leave, in Dublin. The ideas are Dingle, Cliffs, among others. Any help would be beneficial in planning this trip. Should I rent a car or driver? Food is not our focus as we have a special diet. We also don't plan on visiting any churches on this trip. I work in architecture and real estate development therefore I'm really looking forward to the Medieval architecture its history and the beautiful scenery and picturesque towns.

Thank you all,

Yossi

Posted by
138 posts

Yossi, My husband & I just got back from our first trip to Ireland, and loved it!! We had 9 days & 8 nights. I can definitely recommend at least 2 nights/2 days in Dingle!! Plenty to see and do, great pubs and people, and so Irish!! We got to see, although did not stay, in Ashford Castle--it was stunning! So beautiful....can only imagine it must be terrific to be able to stay there--if you can affort it!! We drove through the Connamara one day, then down through the Burren to Doolin--stayed in Doolin--near the Cliffs, one night--then saw the Cliffs of Moher--definitely plan to see them of you are on the west coast!!. Then drove to Dingle.....From Dingle we drove back to Dublin for 2 nights before leaving. Like Rick Steves says in his book--driving is the BEST way to see Ireland, but it is a challege. We had never drove on the left before, but my husband thought he could do it--and did!! Plus, we like to explore and be on our own schedule.... I was the navigator--it took about 2 days before we were really comfortable with it--pack your patience, and follow the recommendations in Steve's book about driving over there.... I did buy a Ireland Road atlas before we went over there and had all our routes plotted out beforehand. If you want more info or recommendtions, please private message me, I am happy to share more!! I don't want to go on too long here!! You cannot go wrong with any of Rick Steve's recomendations on accomodations or food! He and his people know what they are talking about!!

Happy trip planning! Karen

Posted by
9 posts

Karen,

Thanks for responding. we will definitely do the Cliffs. I'm glad you're confirming that its worth it to go to Dingle. I'm still going back and forth about driving. I love the independence and the adventure on driving on the other side of the road, and it would also save us the aggravation of getting back to Dublin. Can we rent in Shannon and return in Dublin?

Yossi

Posted by
7330 posts

Yossi-we toured Western Ireland by bicycle and bus (cycling on The Left was challenging, too), so I won't have first-hand Irish car rental info, but in other parts of Europe, it has depended on the rental company - some allow a return in another city, some don't (or charge a fee for the privelege). Also, our research indicated that insurance was compulsary for car rental in Ireland, so check out all the details and see if you have any options there.

There's an evocative ruin of an old tower house to the west of Dingle town, but for the most part, the architecture on the Dingle peninsula is either much older or much newer than medeival times -- but still a great place to visit. If you enjoy traditional Irish music, be sure to pick up some CD's at the music shop in Dingle to enjoy at home.

We reached Dingle by bus (Bus Eireann), on a round-trip from Tralee. You're on the bus's schedule, but it worked well for us. Staying west of downtown Dingle, we used our bikes or phoned taxis to get around the area. Availability of train travel in the West is pretty slim, so it's mostly bus or your own wheels (you or a hired driver). Happy Anniversary & have a great time!

Posted by
16893 posts

I think you'll have no trouble, and not much extra fee, to pick up a car at Shannon and drop at Dublin. Try Auto Europe for a price quote. My memories of driving in Ireland are generally of pretty easy, open roads, perhaps with a flock of sheep. (Those were better than some of England's narrow country roads that were tightly bordered by hedges and walls.)

Posted by
9 posts

All,

Can anyone tell me what the average cost per day is. The websites are showing 200 euro for my five days. Does this make sense? I looked into a drive and he wanted 300 euro per day. This doesn't make sense if I can rent a car for much less.

Thanks

Posted by
2261 posts

Yossi, it's easy enough to drive in Ireland, but there are a few things to consider. In my view, it is wise to take the "Super CDW" (full insurance package) when you rent. Ireland is tough on cars, and as you know, you'll be driving on the left and getting used to, and trying to see, a new country. I had an experience last year where someone clipped our car with theirs when we were parked-they did not stop-and the extra 80 euros that I had paid for Super CDW saved me the deductible of 1350 euro, or nearly $1900 USD. I simply returned the car (in Cork, we rented in Dublin downtown) answered a couple of questions, and that was it.

I would guess you're at 50-70 euro per day with Super CDW, check Kayak or Autoeurope. We used Budget and it was fine.
If you can rent a car with an automatic, that's good too, you'll have enough to keep busy with.
Just outside of Dingle, I recommend doing the drive around Slea Head, going out towards Ballyferriter and the Gallarus Oratory. There are numerous ruins and tombs, as well as Beehive huts, to see. The coastline views are spectacular. Have a great trip!

Posted by
9 posts

All,

I love your input!!!!

Below is our updated itinerary. Please helps us fill in the gaps.

1. Arrive in Shannon Sunday morning 10:30.
  2. Rent car and drive to Dingle.
  3. What to do in Dingle on Sunday_________?
  4. Stay at Greenmount Lodge for Sunday night.
  5. What to do in Dingle on Monday_________?
  6. Drive to Dromoland Castle for Monday and Tuesday nights.
  7. Tuesday and Wednesday visit the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, Ennis, The Burren?
  8. Enjoy the castle activities i.e. falconry, skeet shooting, archery, etc
  9. Drive to Dublin Wednesday night.
  10. Stay at Powerscourt Hotel for Wednesday and Thursday nights.
  11. Explore Dublin Wednesday night and Thursday.
  12. Fly out from Dublin airport Friday morning.

What am I missing. What can I add for each place and day.

Thank you all!!

Yossi

Posted by
2261 posts

Yossi, it looks good. There is a tour guide who will do the driving around Slea Head for you, in his car, leaving you and your wife to watch the scenery, not the road, we enjoyed it very much. Denis is here at Tripadvisor, and if the notice is too short you may find that the very good Tourist Info office in Dingle can arrange for you with another guide.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g211861-d1393516-Reviews-Dingle_Tours-Dingle_Dingle_Peninsula_County_Kerry.html

Here is Denis' site, has a video showing his basic tour:
http://www.dingletours.com/index.html

Posted by
9 posts

Dave,

What would it cost for his tour? My wife and I want to discover and explore Ireland. We don't want to be bogged down with tours and schedules. That's why we are renting a car and booking rooms. Everything else we will schedule when we are there. If we find ourselves at a place that needs a tour, we will inquire. For example if we love one area of scenery we can hang out by it for awhile without feeling pressured to continue. That's why I'm trying to gather as much input as possible. I have all the books and I am not afraid of asking questions when we are there. I love engaging the locals. The books don't help you with the hidden spots to see.

Yossi

Posted by
4 posts

I've got Denis booked on June 15th and he quoted me Euro 40 per person for a 4 hour tour.

Posted by
9 posts

rdr1051,

Ok, that's not bad. On a separate note can anyone confirm that Dromoland Castle Hotel is worth the money. The reviews are all over the place. Some say its amazing others say never go.

Thanks,

Yossi

Posted by
2261 posts

Hi Yossi, yes, what rdr said is what we paid, I think I gave him 100 total, including tip. We met up with him at the TI office in Dingle, he was waiting for us when we got there. Note that Denis won't add or waste any time for you, he got right to it and kept us moving for the whole tour. He did make a stop at a nice cafe-book shop and we paid for his snack, which is customary for a guide that you have hired. We also stopped at the very fine West Kerry Museum, in Ballyferriter, which was our request, thirty minutes is all you need there.
Also, when you start out he will probably ask you what your interests are, so if there is a particular site or genre you have in mind-for us it was Gallarus Oratory and the beehive huts-he will accommodate you and fashion your tour around that. Or, if no preference, he'll just take you and show you some pretty cool stuff. If you have not, by then, driven over Conor Pass I believe he can accommodate this with some extra time.
You might be able to get him to sing for you-the music that accompanies his video is him singing lead, with his crew from thirty years ago or so. His specialty is traditional Irish songs and "shanty's".

Posted by
9 posts

Dave,

Thank you for the comprehensive information. I think i am changing my itinerary a little. I added one more night in Dingle and staying only one night in Dromoland. It was just too much money to stay for two nights. I wasn't sure it was worth two nights. Any opinions on that?

Arrive in Shannon Sunday morning 10:30.
Rent car and drive to Dingle.
What to do in Dingle on Sunday______?
Stay at --- for Sunday and Monday night.
What to do in Dingle on Monday
______?
Drive to Dromoland Castle for Tuesday night.
Tuesday and Wednesday visit the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, Ennis, The Burren?
Enjoy the castle activities i.e. falconry, skeet shooting, archery, etc
Drive to Dublin Wednesday night.
Stay at Powerscourt Hotel for Wednesday and Thursday nights.
Explore Dublin Wednesday night and Thursday.
Fly out from Dublin airport Friday morning.

Thanks,
Yossi

Posted by
11 posts

We just got back from 8 days in Ireland. We went with Avis and our total rental was 155 Euros, which included the basic CDW coverage and was for a pick-up in Dublin and drop-off in Shannon. We opted to buy Super CDW coverage from a third party insurer - Questor, which covered both the Scotland and Ireland parts of our trip for a lot less than buying Super from the rental companies. Didn't need to file a claim with them, thank goodness.

Bring binoculars for the Cliffs - you may be able to see puffins if you get there in the morning.

Posted by
7330 posts

Rick Steves' Ireland book lists a lot of ways to occupy your days in Dingle, and the very helpful Tourist Information center in town (next to the bronze dolphin statue) can help, too. Options include driving/cycling/guided tour of the Slea Head loop, visiting the excellent Blasket Island Center and/or taking a boat to the Blasket Islands, going on a boat trip out of Dingle Harbor, hiring a kayak to paddle the harbor & explore the coast, trad music, and walking the town.

Posted by
2362 posts

We rented car at Shannon and dropped off in Dublin, don't remember that it cost too much extra. Depending on how tired you are when you get to Shannon, you could stop at Bunratty Folk park very close to airport. It is a chance to get out and walk around for a little bit, again depends on how tired you are. We then drove over Connor Pass into Dingle and once stayed at the Lighthouse and another time we stayed at the Celli Breach B&B, much preferred Celli Breach as it had lovely balcony on second floor and we made tea in our room and could look over water. Were last there in October and stayed two nights. First night we just went into town for dinner and to a pub recommended in Rick's Irelnd book and it was great, sorry can't remember the name but it was small and just about four blocks from car parking lot. Drove Slea Head drive and took about six hours as we stopped at the Stonehouse Restaurant towards beginning of drive, entire place including roof is made of stone, donkeys out front and then can walk up top of hill to beehive dwellings for about one euro. Went to beach and then on to Blasket Center and ended up in Annascaul as my son wanted to see artifacts from South Pole explorer. Was a great day. Whatever you do you will enjoy. If you go to Doolin, recommend late afternoon or evening as during the day the tour buses and crowds were overwhelming, we had to wait twenty minutes to get out of car park due to buses unloading. In Dublin, skip Guinness and go to Christchurch and our favorite Kilmainhaim Gaol which is our favorite, been there three times and keep going back.

Posted by
9 posts

All,

A Mazda 6 at Hertz, with all the coverages available, is 575 EUR. Does this sound right?

Yossi

Posted by
2362 posts

Seems high to me as you don't need car in Dublin. We didn't pay that much for five day rental and from what I guess you only need it for three or four days. We paid about six hundred USD for five days with CDW. I think it was Hertz last time but could have been Avis. Keep checking around.

Posted by
2261 posts

Yossi, as Gail says, that does sound a little rich...though picking up at the airport and with Super CDW may account for some of it. You can likely do better. I looked back and see that for our five day rental, intermediate size, auto trans with Super CDW was it 327 euro last September. We rented from Budget, picked up at the Drumcondra Rd Dublin office, returned it to Cork. This was for the Nissan Qashqai, I think it's called a Rogue stateside.