Please sign in to post.

Heritage Card

We are traveling in Ireland by car in September, 2014. We want to apply for the heritage card. Do we need 1 card for the two of us (we are seniors) or do we each need our own.

Posted by
2261 posts

Jill, in looking at the Heritage Ireland site, it appears that one card per person is how it works. I would point out that you can buy the card in person at a few of the larger sites, as listed on this page http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Info/HeritageCards/#d.en.974

For example, if you are flying in to Dublin, you can get your cards at the Kilmainham Gaol when you arrive for a tour, and save the hassle of doing it online or through the mail. Arriving at Kilmainham Gaol early is always recommended, by the way; it's a fascinating tour and a good basis with which to start your look at Ireland.
With regards to car rental, I would suggest looking for an automatic transmission model-it is one less thing to be concerned with. Buy the deductible down to zero, as Ireland is hard on cars-but easy on people!
Have a great trip

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, that is what we will do. I have the applications filled out and printed, so I will include them in my travel papers. Yes, we have an automatic transmission car rented, already. And we will continue to confirm it.

Posted by
3 posts

Oh, and by the way, don't even bother sending an email to any of the OPW.ie sites, because they all bounce back.

Posted by
154 posts

We were in Ireland in June 2013. I don't know how often this happens, but when we tried to purchase Senior Heritage Cards at Glendalough we were told they only had one pass left. There was one other site where they did not have any Senior Heritage Cards left, but can't remember where. We were able to purchase the two passes we wanted at the Rock of Cashel. You do need one pass/card for each person, unless you buy the Family Heritage Card.
Barbara