Please sign in to post.

International calling cards

Hello,
I'm a bit confused. I'm leaving for Dublin May7th (arriving May 8th). Can I use my International calling card while I'm in Ireland? Or do I have to get another SIM card for my phone; and if I have to "unlock" my SMART (Samsung S4) phone and get a SIM to use it, how do I do it? or do I get an insertable phone card; or talk to my carrier (AT&T) about getting an international rate?
Thanks All.

Posted by
2261 posts

Keith-you may want to re-post this over in General Europe or Technology Tips, I'm sure someone can help you out.

Posted by
1209 posts

I think your card,is for making cheap calls from the US to abroad.
AT and T ,have call packages from Ire. to US, $1 a min, $1.50 without the package
Tesco in Ireland still do international phone cards.
Looks a bit involved setting your mobile up to redirect though, but 5c connection fee then 2c a min. (cards credited in $5 intervals).I would assume you get hit with At and T $1/1.50, for the few seconds while the reconnect takes place.

An unlocked phone $20.in Ireland would be a good investment.a few of them $1/1.50 connection fees would soon equal the phone itself.
Then get a SIM for local calls and the card,or a SIM which allows US falls.
You shouldn't need to pay more than a few cents on either.
Take the S4 as a phone book,and use wifi if you want data.
Unless someone can add a better plan..

Posted by
7 posts

Hey Richard,
With my Int'l card, while in Ireland, to use it will cost me 25 cents/min. and I have 80 mins. They (int'l card people) provide a number to call in Ireland. Then I put in my code number, then the phone number there.
Keith

Posted by
1209 posts

Is that dialing via a landline?
Is there a connection fee?
I still wonder how it ties with your mobile.
Anyhow thats a much better deal than the carriers, other people might be interested ,if you could post who issues it.,

Posted by
7 posts

I bought it at Costco for $20.
How do I get back to talk to people on the forum. I thought I was including everybody on the topic I made, including you.
...It's from a mobile. When I talked to AT&T, they said when I'm not using it, keep it on airplane mode and turn off data usage until I need to make a call. I asked the att guy several times if I would incur international charges other what the int'l card would charge and he said no charges. (?)

Posted by
7 posts

Richard,
The card charges 3cents/min here in the States. In Ireland (with the new number to call) the cost is 25cents/min and 80 min. Here, I believe 500 min.