Please sign in to post.

Gap of Dunloe

I've been researching this and it looks like something we would really be interested in. I'd like to hear from others who have visited there...Rick Steves' books say virtually nothing about it. It sort of looks as though one should book transportation from Killarney...apparently you can drive in to a certain point and then walk 6 or 7 miles...6 or 7 miles would be fine, but how about walking back? Looks like most people take a bus from Killarney to Kate Kearney's cottage, walk the 7 miles and then take a boat back along the lake to Killarney. Would appreciate any advice.

Posted by
8647 posts

Was there last November. Beautiful sunny day. I had a rental car but wanted to walk/hike a portion of it so I did. As it was off season, Kate's was closed and only two trap drivers ask If I wanted a ride. I politely declined and walked up as far as the dilapidated stone house with the tree coming out of the chimney. Couple of miles maybe. The quiet, the beauty, the solitude, and absolutely gorgeous scenery made for a glorious outing. As the weather does in Ireland, it had changed from clear blue skies to sun with ominous rain clouds in the distance so the colors on the hillside as the sun appeared and disappeared behind the clouds were memorable. I returned to my car and then drove over the Gap. In all saw 4-5 hikers, maybe 8 cars total, 1 horse trap, 3 rock climbers, 2 bicyclists, 1 lorry and countless mountain sheep. The drive on the back side was a bit tedious but lovely. Readily admit it was my favorite part of my visit to the Dingle Peninsula besides enjoying a few pints with the locales at Foxy Johns.

Posted by
388 posts

Hi Terri, unfortunately we don't have any experience at the Gap of Dunloe. I do agree it looks beautiful. In fact I will be doing it myself this summer, so hopefully then I will have more information. Until then, I would look at the Lonely Planet guidebook on hiking in Ireland for more detailed information on hiking that route.

Posted by
255 posts

We just visited the Gap on May 8. See my post under the subject "drive a car through the Gap of Dunloe" in this forum. It's well worth several hours if you have them available and it's a clear day (no low hanging clouds or fog). Its one of the most scenic inland areas we saw in our 22 day tour. Give yourself plenty of time.