Please sign in to post.

5 days in Ireland

Hello:
Mother and Adult Son arriving Dublin on the 12th of June noon and have booked a 1 night stay-just to walk around local places. Have rented a car for 5 days and on our wishlist: Cliffs of Mohr; small villages and around Dingle area. Last day will return car to airport and be there in time to catch a flight to England-leaves Dublin airport at 14:00pm . My son wants to visit
authentic" feeling villages and sights-not too touristy and stay in local simple B&B or hotels along the way. He is all about being relaxed and seeing smaller towns and just "visiting". I will return in Fall with husband for a longer look.
Any suggestions on route without backtracking? Where to stay? Ideally we can stay 2 nights in two places to see our wishes.
Thank you
Freebe

Posted by
9363 posts

Didn't you post the same question a couple of weeks ago?

Posted by
16 posts

oops, I didn't see any replies until today!
Any names of where to stay near Dingle???
Thanks
Sherri

Posted by
388 posts

Dingle Benner's hotel in Dingle is nice. If you can stay in the town that is usually preferable. Here are a few more suggestions from Rick's Ireland guidebook:

With only 5 days it wouldn't give a whole lot of time do much more than Dingle and the Cliffs, especially if you aren't doing Dublin. For routes you could just head straight down to Dingle, then head north to Galway stopping at the Cliffs and Bunratty or Dungauire castle. You can drop the car in Galway then train back to Dublin. It takes about 4 hours by train to go from Galway to Dublin so you'll want to do that early in the morning or late in the day. You can look up routes, directions and times on maps.google.com or www.viamicheling.com

[$$$] Captain’s House B&B rents three great suites in the town center, and Mary, whose mother ran a guest house before Dingle was discovered, provides a continental breakfast for her guests (suites-€100-120, 10 percent discount with cash and 3-night stay, Wi-Fi, The Mall, tel. 066/915-1531, captigh@eircom.net, Jim and Mary Milhench).

[$$] Alpine Guest House looks like a Monopoly hotel, and is fittingly comfortable and efficient. Its 14 spacious, bright, and fresh rooms come with wonderful views of sheep and the harbor, a cozy lounge, a great breakfast, and friendly owners (Sb-€45-60, Db-€70-96, Tb-€90-120, Qb-€100-130, less off-season, 10 percent discount with this book through 2014, Wi-Fi, easy parking, Mail Road, tel. 066/915-1250, www.alpineguesthouse.com, alpinedingle@eircom.net, Paul). Driving into town from Tralee, this will be the first lodging on your right, next to the sports field and a block uphill from the Dingle Esso station.

[$$] Eileen Collins Kirrary B&B, which takes up a quiet corner in the town center, is run by the same Collins family that does archaeological tours of the peninsula (see page *TK). They offer five fine rooms, great prices, a large garden, and a homey friendliness (Db-€70-76, cash only, Wi-Fi, tel. 066/915-1606, Kirrary House, just off The Mall on Avondale Road, collinskirrary@eircom.net, Eileen Collins). They also rent a cozy, family-friendly, self-catering cottage that sleeps five people (minimum 3-night stay). A couple hundred yards high up behind town, it has Dingle’s best views.

[$$] Sraíd Eoin House offers five pleasant, top-floor rooms above Galvin’s Travel Agency (Db-€70-80, Tb-€90-110, Qb-€100-120, 10 percent discount with cash and this book in 2014, Wi-Fi, John Street, tel. 066/915-1409, www.sraideoinbnb.com, sraideoinhouse@hotmail.com, friendly Kathleen and Maurice O’Connor).

I hope this helps some.

Posted by
2367 posts

Have stayed in Dingle at the Lighthouse and also another trip at Celli Breach, not certain of spelling. Our favorite is Celli breach for many reasons, hosts, location, second floor outdoor balcony, etc. I would go to Dingle via Connor pass, great drive and of course Slea Head drive, the best. I think you should go via ferry over towards Doolin, might not save you a lot of time but is great experience. In terms of money and time, don't feel you should go from Doolin to Galway to drop off car. Just drive back to Dublin. By going to Galway it is maybe an hour or so from Doolin and then four hour train into Dublin and then train or bus to airport. All that costs you more money since you already have car, just drive car to airport. Driving from Doolin to Dublin is give or take four hours.